invasive vine - help to identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mckeinley, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mckeinley

mckeinley New Member

hi guys! I'm new here. I just would like to ask some help in identifying this one. (I hope I'm in the right category)

[​IMG]

i tried to remove them but the problem is, i can't reach anymore the others.

[​IMG]

the leaves are about 1mm thick and if you fold them, it'll break.

I don't know what are they, i've tried searching it over the internet but still no luck so I decided to show it here. I need to get rid of it since it's killing the fruit tree, plus those pests.

[​IMG]

their roots cling into the barks and goes to the tip of the twigs. I can't let the tree die, it's a green/white water apple (whatever you call it - it's "makopa" in our language). The last time it bore fruits, it was very sweet compared to other red rose apples here.
    At least if i would be able to identify it, i can find a way on how to kill it effectively.

Oh and by the way i'm from Philippines.

Good day everyone!
    (sorry for some grammatical errors)

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome to the forums, mckeinley.

I don't know what the vine is, but have you tried cutting the stems at the ground everywhere you see them climbing the tree?

I realize you would still want to get rid of the vine on the ground as well, as I'd imagine it would steal a lot of water away from the tree, which according to Wikipilipinas, requires a lot of water.

Not sure what you're referring to when you say "plus those pests"? Just the annoyance of having the vine there?

3. mckeinley

mckeinley New Member

thanks wcutler!

The problem is, there aren't any vine stems at the ground. The roots cling to the moss on the bark, it's like it's getting it's nutrients there - acts as soil. I already tried removing the ones at the bottom but still those at the top doesn't die. I was worried since the twigs start to dry off, seems like they're suffocating them.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Climber probably has nothing to do with whatever problem the tree is having.

5. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

This looks to me like a Pyrrosia sp., not a vine but an epiphytic fern with clinging roots. They are ubiquitous on tree trunks in the 'everwet' climatic zones of tropical Asia. They do not take any nutrition from the living parts of the tree, nor do they compete with the roots. The worst they can do is to sometimes provide a moist environment for bark-damaging organisms such as insects or fungi. I am inclined to agree with Ron B's comment.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ding! I thought I had seen it before.