2 foot tall woody "herb"

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cshillibeer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cshillibeer

cshillibeer Member

Can anyone identify this plant for me? Picture taken up in Elphinstone. It stands about 2 foot tall. Picture taken in February.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'd have said Rosemary, but I'm surprised to find that I can't distinguish that from Lavendar (Lavandula), though I never have trouble when I see them and can smell them. They're both Mediterranean plants, both can be garden escapees?

3. cshillibeer

cshillibeer Member

Its resemblance to rosemary is exactly why I called it a "herb". The thing is that it had no tell-tale smell. And for it to be a garden escapee up that far onto the mountain, would imply intent I think. I may have to go back up, collect a sample and take it in for closer examination.

4. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Could it be gorse, Ulex europaeus?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nope, not Gorse.

It does look strikingly like Rosemary, though. Try repeating the scent test, with a sprig brought home into a warm room - any scent might not be so easy to detect on a cold day outdoors.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks just like rosemary.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. cshillibeer

cshillibeer Member

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then go back to the site, take more detailed photos, and collect a sample. Question: Where does one take a sample for hands-on identification in the Vancouver area?

Thank you for the replies and the suggestions. Much appreciated.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You can come here if you like and see me or Douglas Justice.

A dried, pressed specimen can be taken to the UBC Herbarium as an alternative. Take some GPS data of where it was collected.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bog rosemary does not look particularly like rosemary, would never be seen with this tall, diffuse habit. The only similarity is in the individual leaves, which are not even arranged on the stems in the same fashion. If the specimen in question turns out to be a rosemary, as it appears to be in these pictures - and it is growing in a cold, inland location - then it might be worth growing from cuttings. Many rosemary plants in lowland gardens here are tender forms that are periodically damaged or killed by cold.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Fair enough, I was more in the camp of it being a rosemary myself, but wanted to present the possibility since I haven't looked closely at bog-rosemary in the winter.