What is it?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Scotty Allen, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Scotty Allen

Scotty Allen Member

I was given this plant a few years ago by a friend who could not remember what it is called. It thrives outside until there is a frost warning, at which time I bring it inside until spring. The leaves fall off quickly once I bring it inside, producing only a few small ones until it goes back outside again. It does produce the occasional "flower" inside, but nothing like it does outside. It is just now producing what I believe to be seed pods.

Wonder if someone can give me an idea as to what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Jatropha - maybe, J. podagrica ?

3. Scotty Allen

Scotty Allen Member

Thank you Audrey, this gives me a place to start looking at least.

4. OrchidLady

OrchidLady New Member

This is also more commonly known as the Buddha Belly plant because of the noticeable swelling at the base that resembles a belly. It is a very intrigueing plant and if placed in a pot can resemble a bonsai tree. It is a popular ornamental plant because of its unique look but can be considered a rare plant as well as you will discover that it is not sold in your regular nursery and often times must be purchased online or at exotic nursuries. Once the seed pods grow and become ripe (brown or black in color) it is suggest that you wrap the pods with a hairnet as it is noted to have an explosion type effect where it will spread it seeds up to about 15 to 20 feet and more than likely you will not be able to collect them. This plant is known for how easy it is to maintain...watering sparingly and only when the soil becomes dry. It is also known for how easy it is to propagate through its seeds. I am very pleased with my plant and it has become one of my most favorite plant! :) ENJOY!!!

5. Tirthankar

Tirthankar New Member

Jatropha Integerrima. Common name Peregrina or Spicy Jatropha.