Succulent Groundcover ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jorge28, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jorge28

jorge28 New Member

A creeping evergreen succulent groundcover (pictured: center) to about 6-7 inches high. Slightly fuzzy leaves, with red margins, which deepen in color during the summer months.

Pictured specimens are rooted cuttings taken from mature plants in a friends' garden.
    Neither of us are entirely sure what it is.

I have very little knowledge. But perhaps some sort of Crassula..? Kalanchoe perhaps...

Attached Files:

• gc.jpg
      gc.jpg
      File size:
      173.9 KB
      Views:
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks similar to Kalanchoe tomentosa.

Welcome to the Forum!

3. jorge28

jorge28 New Member

Thankyou togata57,

Yes, it does resemble K. tomentosa in some ways - however there appears to be some differences, most notably the leaves themselves being much thinner for example.

Not ruling out it being a Kalanchoe though...

4. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

I agree - K. tomentosa. Growing conditions can affect the leaf thickness. Look for the stem color and texture online to help verify.

5. jorge28

jorge28 New Member

Finally managed to figure out what it is. By a stroke of luck I saw the exact same plant at a nursery this morning.

According to the label these hardy groundcovers go by the name of "Plectranthus neochilus" - a mat-forming perennial, aromatic succulent belonging to the Lamiaceae family (Salvia & Mint) Hardy to at least 30 °F and exceptionally drought resistant.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hmm. Were there several plants with that tag, or might that have been a single mis-placed tag? Look up this name on google. Are you seeing what your plant looks like? For instance, here's a Plectranthus neochilus photo with leaves that have the kind of veining that's usual for Plectranthus:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Plectranthus_neochilus,_Pretoria.jpg

Is your plant fragrant?

Maybe if we saw a photo of the mature clump in your friend's yard, that ID would be more convincing.

7. jorge28

jorge28 New Member

Hi wcutler,

There were nearly a dozen - all tagged the same. A quick google search revealed a couple of varieties, many of which resembled my cuttings/and my friends' plant.

Interestingly, rubbing the leaves between ones' fingers leaves a distinctive odor - a smell you'll either love or hate. Have no idea what they'll be like in bloom though....

Either way, I'm postive on the ID now.

I'll try and attach a picture of a mature specimen from my friends' yard for interests' sake.

Thanks for the reply by the way.