when to plant an apple tree in North Vancouver, BC

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by spcchung, Sep 6, 2009.

1. spcchung

spcchung Member

Hi, I have just moved in a new house with an entirely empty garden. I just finished seeding the lawn and would like to plant some fruit trees, like apple or pear, in the western corner of the garden. When is the best time to plant these? I understand the Apple Festival is held in October, if I get the trees then, will it be a good time to plant? Also I would like to know what size trees should I get for them to survive better?

Thank you!
    Stephanie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If kinds you want available October would be excellent timing. Fall is the best season to plant winter hardy plants. Smaller trees easier to handle than larger.

3. spcchung

spcchung Member

Thank you for your advice, if I want something that are edible, sweet and crispy, which type should I get? Is Fuji a good choice for our climate in North Vancouver, BC, very wet and cool.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I have a Fuji graft on a Newton tree in Burnaby, just across the Second Narrows Bridge from North Van. It produces fruit reliably every year; this year is the best ever for quantity of apples. However, I don't think that this climate is ideal for Fuji; my apples don't have the sweetness or flavour of the best Fuji apples that I've bought. I think that it needs a bit more heat than we usually get. This year might be an exception, but that remains to be seen.