sea buckthorn berry, or "seaberry", as hedge?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by natnkat, Apr 15, 2007.

1. natnkat

natnkat Member

Hiya,

We have 3 sea buckthorn berries on order to plant on our front side yard - I'm interested in trying out juicing the fruit! But everything I've read says that they get enormous! We don't really have space right there for 25-30' tree-bushes, does anyone know if you can prune sea buckthorn's into a hedge-like bush?
    Also, I'm reconsidering the site because the main Sasktel line runs approximately just off our property line, right where the bushes would be - do you think that'd be a problem for this plant, or would its roots go deep rather than wide? (the area already has an evergreen and several midsize bushes we'd be decimating before planting the seaberries).

Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They can be pruned, but be warned that both pruning, and (even more so!!) fruit picking, are very unpleasant jobs, due to the numerous sharp thorns. By the time you've picked 3 or 4 berries, you'll want to give it up as a bad job and go off to nurse your bleeding fingers.

Another thing to watch out for is that they spread very readily by suckers coming off the roots; new shoots can come up some distance from the parent plant. The Sasktel line people might not be too keen on this.

One good thing about the plant - it does make a superb intruder-proof barrier!