What is this creature? Grasshopper/Cricket?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by HK77, Feb 10, 2009.

1. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi All,
    This morning, I found out a big green creature on my adenium plant and quite scared at first. I don't know what this thing is and don't know whether it's beneficial or damaging to my plant. My plant was recently infected with aphids and spider mites and only these days, these pest problems are somewhat clear.
    Please check the attached photos and suggest whether it's beneficial or damaging to my adenium which is currently producing a lots of new shoots and flower buds.

Thanks,
    HK77

Attached Files:

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

My vision is buggy but I see a praying mantis. That would be a desirable critter.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, praying mantis. that's a good one to have as they eat the bugs that cause the problems!

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

they make great pets too, but are protected in lots of places :)

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

This is a site from Australia so probably has bugs not in your region, BUT, check out this page for an interesting little write up on Praying mantis:

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_hoppers/Mantids.htm

(This is a great site but as I said probably too many different uncommon bugs for overseas users)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Black widows don't always eat the male either. The jaws of the mantis are razor sharp and are used to slice through the body of the prey, which is pinned between the forelegs and eaten immediately. Anything that will fit between the forelegs and comes within reach is a target, including hummingbirds - and black widow spiders.

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's really well set out and there's a lot of excellent photos, many showing different stages of certain insects lifecycles which has become so helpful for me, I am a few hours north but haven't found anything in my yard not covered on the site.