What do I do next please?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by jodevizes, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jodevizes

jodevizes Member

Hi, having bought some incredibly sweet moscato ? grapes, I saved the seeds and planted them out hoping one would grow. Now I have five plants about nine inches tall, with about eight leaves. The stems look very thin, is there anything I should do, like pinching out the top, to make the stem get wider, or do I just let them grow, perhaps adding a bamboo cane for support.

They are in quite small pots so perhaps I should pot them on. Is there any particular soil I should use?

I am not going to plant them out as I am moving and want to take them with me.

Thank you for taking time to answer me
    Jo

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Muscatel.

Larger pots would be a good idea; ideally plant them out though (never grow new seeds just before moving!!). Ideally, full sun, but if they have been indoors in poor light (sounds like it from the slender stems), a sudden move to full sun isn't a good idea, let them adapt slowly to avoid sunburn (just like people).

3. jodevizes

jodevizes Member

Thank you for your reply. They have been grown in 'full sun' as they are in the conservatory, it has a gauze on the ceiling which takes the sting out of the sun but they are not in the shade. I have just bought some potting on compost and will be moving them to larger pots.
    I won't be moving until the New Year, I think. Could be earlier if every thing comes together.

When I pot them on, I suppose I should put some canes in to support the vines, is that right ?

Are vines self pollinating or do you need male and female?

I hope the grapes are as sweet as the ones they have come from.

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I was reading about Kiwi fruit. They need a male and female so..

..I guess you may be the same, but not sure.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That actually doesn't count as full sun - the glass cuts out the ultraviolet component in sunlight. Stand in a sunny window for a month, and you won't get any tan at all, then suddenly go outside on a sunny day and you get sunburn in less than an hour. Plants are just the same, they need to build up their outdoor sun exposure slowly!