Help with identifying grandmother's plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by captaineo, Sep 25, 2010.

1. captaineo

captaineo Member

Hi, I am posting on behalf of my grandmother - she has been wondering what this plant could be? She received it from her daughter who called it "bamboo", but preliminary Internet research (how the heck do you search for unknown plants??) turned up nothing except that I am pretty sure this is not bamboo. Can you help me out? She is musing about what to do with it over the winter!

Thanks!

Ellen

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  2. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

Lucky you, that's a Ricinus, also known as Castor bean. It's a great architectural plant and well suited to any sort of lush, tropical garden! They do really well over here on the island. Unfortunately, I haven't had a great deal of luck starting them from seed. Perhaps someone else may have some advice to share on that note?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes it is Ricinus. Note the plant is extremely toxic, the seeds are pretty and could be attractive to children. As to what to do over the winter, it is usually used as a quick growing annual ornamental in your area. I grew up in Ohio. We saved the seeds and grew this plant every year.

4. captaineo

captaineo Member

Wow, thank you both. My grandmother could not be more excited - she is still trying to figure out how I "pulled the answer out of thin air". You guys are amazing!