Catalpa?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by oldfox, Sep 23, 2010.

1. oldfox

oldfox Member

This young tree is growing in my yard (900m ASL, Silver Star Mountain, Vernon, BC). Near as I can tell it may be a Catalpa. It was the last tree in the area to leaf in the spring. It had two flower clusters but no seed pods. For some, maybe similar reason, a nearby Chestnut tree didn't fruit, either. The leaves average 8" long by 6" wide arranged in whorls of three. Is Catalpa native to the Okanagan or did some previous owner plant it as an ornamental?
    Many thanks for any help.
    John

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like it wants Nitrogen and possibly trace minerals.
    Leads me to think it's not native to the area.
    Heat may also be lacking. Most Catalpa are in hotter
    Midwestern and Southeastern areas.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, the usual deficiency on cultivated soils in this region is nitrogen. You might see about having a soil test done, native Thuja plicata in background are a bit scraggly indicating site is not optimal for them either. Catalpa likely to also benefit from having turf pulled back away from it. Many of these trees are grown here, climate is not a barrier.

Lawn also looks quite thin, as though it needs some additional attention. Improving conditions for it could also result in perking up of the tree. But be sure to give the tree a spot of grass-free ground, maybe about 3' across.

Do not use lawn herbicides near the tree.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. oldfox

oldfox Member

Thanks for all the knowledge and help. The soil up here on Silver Star mountain is a thin layer over hardpan. Good for growing cedars, spruces and raspberries but not much else. I'll cut what passes for lawn (mown bush plants, really) back from the tree as suggested. There's a horse chestnut in the same area which has a good crop of leaves but no nuts this year. Could this be caused by the same soil deficiencies? Any suggestions for soil additives and quantities? There was sure no lack of rain this year but it was a cool summer. The catalpa distribution map is fascinating, thanks for that. No herbicides (or any other 'cides) used here.