Identify Vine smothering Miami FL Hedge? help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cjpecori, Sep 22, 2010.

1. cjpecori

cjpecori Member

I have 3 different types of Vines smothering my hedges. They are starving them of sun, choking them out, and seem unstoppable. This one is the most prevalent. I am not sure but i think it might be Skunk Vine. any help would be appreciated. I have extinguished all my resources and numerous hours of searching.

If you know, any suggestions on removal methods without harming my Orange Jasmin Hedge.

thank you in advance
    chris
    Miami Florida

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I think that is Paederia foetida, or skunk vine, as you suggest. I have no first hand knowledge of it, thankfully.

Two characteristics for you to check is that Paederia foetida will have stipules or little pokey green protrusions at the base of each leaf petiole where it meets the vining stalk, and that leaves when crushed will smell skunky.

If this is skunk vine, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Every leaf node is capable of rooting against a wall or the ground or in crevices. It is prolific, insidious, and will grow up within a hedge, then smother it from the top. You will have many instances of roots left behind to regenerate a vine. I honestly suggest you consider pruning your jasmine as hard as your local cooperative extension office recommends to enable you to see where the skunk vine sends forth new shoots. This could be an ongoing effort over a few years.

Definitely for now, get rid of any berry clusters you see.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/303 Use this link to find the cooperative extension office, which for you would be the Homestead office, I think. They will know what to tell you better than I can.

3. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like one of Jasminum to me.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That was my first thought when I saw the image, but I am out of my area. I note that Paederia foetida is described as having grayish pink or lilac flowers, with reddish centres. Flowers in the image here are white.

5. thanrose

Heavens to Betsy, whoever she may be! You two are right. How embarassing to see that I completely ignored the elephant in the picture!

Still don't know what it is. That bloom looks jasmine-ish, but it's not one that I have right now or have grown in the past.

6. cjpecori

cjpecori Member

it does NOT seem to have the red purple center to the flowers but may it be to immaturity of the flower??.. they have not completely bloomed, does the color form with time?

the leaves are in whirls of 3, which it is reported to rarely occur in Skunk vine

it does have the spicules at the leaf stem origin which is reported with skunk vine

i can't come up with a differential diagnosis for any other vine?

my approach is manual irradication and probably Garlon A or B after manual removal to limit regrowth.... is this a sound approach?? i am hoping not to destroy too much of my Orange Jasmine Hedge

thanks for everyones help

7. thanrose

http://www.invasive.org/species/subject.cfm?sub=3059

Take a look at the flowers on this site, too. Compared to yours, the flower anatomy is different. Five fringed petals on Paederia foetida, wider and shorter throat than your specimen. No indications that the color variability in Paederia foetida is related to age of the bloom, although you have a valid point.

Lots of foliage can smell funky, bitter, musky, lemony, or lots of other descriptors. But they say Paederia foetida is particularly rank in odor. The related Paederia cruddasiana (great species name!) is said to be rotting-oniony odored when crushed.

8. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Could be Jasminum fluminense.

9. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

10. cjpecori

cjpecori Member

David, i think you nailed it.. just looked up Jasminum fluminense (brazilian jasmine) and it looks and fits much better.. when i crush it i really dont appreciate and foul smell as noted for Skunk vine (but my smell is not the best)

now to research extermination methods
    again thanks

11. cjpecori

cjpecori Member

this is all i could find for Jasminum fluminense

Control:

Physical. Young plants can be hand pulled.

Chemical: Large, mature, woody vines can be cut at ground level and treated with a triclopyr herbicide mixed with 50 percent water. Follow-up treatments will probably be required (Randall & Marinelli, 1996; p. 149). "Sensitive to triclopyr, 50% of product, in cut-stump treatment" (Motooka et al., 2003).

anyone else had to deal with this beast? any other suggestions?