Identification: How do I care for this plant (ID?) and?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kevinwatkins2010, Apr 14, 2005.

1. kevinwatkins2010

kevinwatkins2010 Member

Does anyone know what this plant is called?

This Poor Plant

I've had it for years- left by an old roommate-I'm trying to take better care of it..

Thank you,
    Kevin

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

hmmm it looks like a dumbcane .. Dieffenbaccia (sp) ??.. they sometimes can b a picky plant and other times grow really good .. first of all the water u use to water it with let it sit out over night it might b to hard of water for it .. and mayb also try movieng it to another room it is a tropical type plant .. i had one in my living room and it didnt like it .. and i put one in my bedroom and there was more humidity in there and it relaly liked it alot better also mist your plant .. and if that is old dirt mayb try repotting it and if u can in a smaller pot ..
    good luck with it ..

Marn

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Kevin,

I agree with Marn that it does look like dumbcane, but it also looks like some type of philodendron. I'd say to take cuttings and start over with it. I have a feeling that it's horribly rootbound and it just looks so sad. New cuttings will give the plant an opprotunity for a strong root system.

Newt