Schefflera - Propagation of Herbaceous Cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by davidpom, Apr 5, 2009.

1. davidpom

davidpom Member

This is my first year doing any experimentation with plants. I have successfully germinated a number of vegetables, herbs and flowers since the beginning of March inside my home under a combination of incandescent and fluorescent bulbs (as well as my North-East Facing window during the day).

I have decided to propagate a Schefflera plant from a herbaceous cutting that my mother gave me. It is planted about 6 cm deep in a 14 cm pot filled with potting soil (it is a mixture that is appropriate for germination) and enclosed in a plastic bag to retain the moisture. Based on information that I have collected on the internet, these plants like high humidity and bright light during propagation. There is a 60 WATT incandescent lightbulb about 20 cm away from the plant. The soil is moist and the conditions inside this enclosure are as follows:

Temperature: 25 deg C (77 deg F)
    Humidity: 80% - 90%

I am including a picture of my plant set up. I would really appreciate it if somebody who is experienced with this plant could tell me whether or not what I am doing is sufficient, or if I am doing something wrong...
    Advice or comments are welcome...

David P.
    Inside View.jpg Front View.jpg

2. theredben

theredben Active Member

It looks to me like there is too much plant material there, you should cut it down to one or two nodes. All of that extra plant material will only stress it more until it grows new roots. Did you use rooting hormone of any kind? Otherwise looks okay.

3. davidpom

davidpom Member

I did not use rooting hormone. I read about this in several locations but it was never really stated as mandatory. Do you think that this will help a whole lot? If it costs a few extra dollars then I would be more than willing to pick some up as soon as possible...
    Thanks for the advice, I will reduce the nodes as well

-David P

4. theredben

theredben Active Member

Not sure if Schefflera requires rooting hormone or not, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Some plants root easily enough they don't need rooting powder, but it doesn't hurt even on the plants that don't require it.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Schefflera is always propagated by air layering. - Millet (1,381-)