Please help me ID this flowering plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by frank1966, May 29, 2007.

1. frank1966

frank1966 Member

This is my first post. My neighbor bought a hanging basket with this plant in it, because it was so unusual, but she knows nothing about it, water, light, temps, etc. Can anyone help me? I am not finding it in any of my books.

Thanks!

Sharon

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bluecrown passionflower.

3. frank1966

frank1966 Member

Ooooh, you're good! Thanks!!

4. martinpribble

martinpribble Active Member

5. frank1966

frank1966 Member

Okay, so this plant could bear fruit? I didn't know that! This was sold in a local store as a decorative hanging basket along with the wave petunias, bleeding hearts, begonias, etc. There was no ID info on the basket anywhere. I don't think the store buyer knew what they were buying, or when they did, they took off the ID tag so they wouldn't get stuck with it. Amazing! I don't think it will survive the Northern Illinois winter, though. And from what I understand, it would not be suitable for our little houses with dry winter air, if it was to be brought inside, if we had the room for it!

I have learned it is Zone 8a in the US, grows 12-18 ft. tall, spreads 6-8 ft., has some poisonous parts, and is perennial. But the data did not say anything about fruit. Are some types not fruit-bearing? I got my info at http://davesgarden.com once I got the name.

Thanks!

Sharon