Hibiscus 'moscheutos' (Swamp Mallow)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Charles Richard, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

I believe that I have the name correct? The plant that I have seen, I think was a hybrid. The flower was probably 10"-12" wide and stood 2'-3' out of the water (deep burgundy color).
    I am curious as to were a person might find these plants and/or is it something one needs to start from seed?
    If anyone has any info., it would be appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One that color could also be an H. coccineus hybrid, you can tell them apart by the leaf shapes. Outlets here stock these types in summer, when in bloom. I have even seen them in supermarket plant departments before.

3. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

'Hello RonB,
    I saw it at a Koi and Pond retail outlet. The fella there, just said yes it was a Swamp Hibiscus and that was all. I did not have an opportunity to go in the greenhouse that it was in and look at the tag. From where I was it did not look like that it had a large amont of foliage, just a large stalk with a huge deep burgundy flower. In about
    12-14" of water.
    My garden book DK A-Z Plants, show one in a red (moscheutos), not the same and the flower on his was very solid and plate like.
    A web-site that I looked at spoke of hybrid forms being dinner plante size.
    I have to say it was the flower that took me, not the plant itself.
    Does the 'coccineus' hybrid live in water or marginal?
    Thanks for your help.

4. Ron B

Have seen that offered as a pond plant here, maybe H. moscheutos forms in that manner also. Aquatic culture not required. Although H. coccineus derivatives such as 'Lord Baltimore' produce large flowers probably you saw an H. moscheutos selection or hybrid.

The H. coccineus influence results in divided leaves with slender divisions, H. moscheutos produces simple, much more visible leaves.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Charles. Just a comment on these moscheutos type hibiscus in our area.

I grew many dozens of them from seed, they were called Galaxy hybrid, and were quite easy to propagate. However, I eventually disposed of them all because these plants are adapted to hot humid areas such as the southeastern U.S., and fail to put on much of a display on our coast. Most years they are just starting flowering now and will be messed up by our fall rains once those begin...a disappointingly short season.

Ample water is also required, flower buds drop thru the summer if moisture is ever lacking...and cool nights might also contribute to this habit. Gorgeous blossoms I know...but my experience leads me to be pessimistic about these plants :-(

6. Ron B

'Lord Baltimore' has been in flower for awhile in a narrow bed on the south side of a dental clinic near here. The lawn in front of it dries up every year. Adjacent plants are Romneya and hybrid roses. Specimen was installed some years ago, after I brought in a flower and left it for one of the dentists to see.

Some other local properties feature conspicuous specimens of H. moscheutos garden forms.

7. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I'm looking out my window at one now (moscheutos): 5' tall, with 8 blooms and more coming, it's been blooming for a couple of weeks now, planted in it's pot in 6" of water. Survived this past brutal winter (in a frost pocket) and came back stronger than ever. So...here, at least, it's well worth growing.

8. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

The "Lord Baltimore" seems one of the more common types seen in the trade here...perhaps it is better adapted for our climate. Interesting that it can handle "romneya" conditions, that's saying something!

My "Galaxy Hybrids" were developed down in parts south and east of here (in something like Missouri) by a well known breeder there...perhaps they were just the wrong variety for my yard (higher elevation so cooler nights in summer...?). I'm guessing this would have been one of the best summers in a long time if I'd kept my plants around here...several degrees warmer than average thru the summer months.

The romneyas are sure doing awesome this summer in the yard here :-)