Dogwood Tree Fell Over Due To Snow

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by k1kevin, Nov 26, 2006.

1. k1kevin

k1kevin Member

Hello I need urgent help in figuring out what I should do with my Dogwood tree that has fallen over. It must be 10 years old. It is sitting on its side, with a bit of the root showing. There is no damage to the trunk, it appears that due to the incredible rain we have had the soil has become loose and the tree has gone over due to heavy snow on it. I woke up in the morning and the tree was to its side.

DO I NEED TO PUT BURLAP ON THE ROOT TO PROTECT AGAINST FREEZING UNTIL I UPRIGHT?

HOW DO I UPRIGHT THIS HUGE TREE?

HOW DO I SUPPORT IT ONCE UPRIGHT.

please help, this is my favorite tree, and I would love to save it.

thank you

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

upright it, or cover the roots. if it fell with no leaves and a bit of snow I would really question whats wrong with the root system, any signs of mushrooms the last few weeks?

3. k1kevin

k1kevin Member

Thanks for the reply.

I did not notice any mushrooms. I have covered the roots with soil and burlap.

4. k1kevin

k1kevin Member

Does any body know of a gardener/landscaper/arborist that can help me upright and stabilize this tree in Burnaby area?

5. jimmyq

without being too forward, you can look at the BCLNA website and I believe they have a regional search (www.bclna.com) or, contact your nearest garden center and ask if they can give you a recomendation for a local business. Also there is a " find a certified arborist" section at this website that is also searchable by region. www.isa-arbor.com

6. jimmyq

as another option, standing the tree up is not rocket science, dig out the remaining hole somewhat, stand up the tree, backfill the hole apprpriately and affix a stabilizng sytem to it for a period of time to allow the roots to grow and do the job themselves. I know that Gardenworks near lougheed and holdom has at least one tree staking kit in stock, about $30 for three ground anchors, three sections of arbortie strapping material and instructions in a nice little kit.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  7. k1kevin

k1kevin Member

thanx Jimmyq. I will go down there right away. I am trying to find a winch system to slowly winch the tree up. My two neighbors and I could not straighten the tree with manpower alone.

8. jimmyq

if you do have difficulty lifting or raising the tree, I have a pulley and rigging rope ( used for heavy limbs when pruning) that might be able to do the job, if you require assistance, let me know and I could possibly come by tomorrow. On a professional level of course. I am in the Brentwood area of Burnaby. you can pm (private message or email) me if you wish.

9. Alison

Alison Active Member

My dogwood too was split (about right in half, and about three feet up from the soil) because of the weight of the snow, heartbreaking! I couldn't bear to cut the whole thing down, so I wrapped the exposed part of the trunk in burlap and will wait and see what happens. Are dogwoods generally fragile in this way?? Good luck with yours.

10. jimmyq

Alison, is there a seam or fault where the split ocurred? Many trees have structural faults that are aggravated by excessive weight and wind. sometimes these faults can be corrected by proper pruning and sometimes with the use of a restraint system such as cables and braces. If you could post a picture or two of the issue there may be some suggestions we could offer.

11. Alison

Alison Active Member

Here are some pics of my poor tree. I don't know if there is a fault or not, but I wouldn't have thought of pruning it where it ended up splitting... The branch/s that split off probably accounted at least half of the tree's canopy.

Attached Files:

12. jimmyq

Alison. yoicks. I cant really suggest much to help that tree out. have patience and see how it does on its own.

Kevin, sorry I didnt get a chance to come and see your dogwood, with all these storms I have been (as has every other tree worker and bc hydro employee) insanely busy. Did you have any success standing it back up and securing it?