Help with huge Dracena

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by beancounter, Sep 2, 2005.

1. beancounter

beancounter Member

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, but have read many posts and feel I can find the answers to my questions here. Looks like a really nice forum.
    My wife and I "inherited" a huge corn plant. It is in a pot that is close to 3' in diameter. There are two long "stems" growing diagonally from the main plant that I would like to remove. They are so long, I'm afraid the pot will eventually tip over from their weight. I hate to just cut them off and let them die, so I'm trying to find out what I can do to repot what I want to cut off. The stems are roughly 4' long with the foliage at the ends. Can I cut the stem a little below the leaves and use rooting hormone to help get them growing? I'm not sure what type of media to use.
    I recently read about starting new plants from the cane itself (with the length of these canes, I could start a plant store!!), but I don't understand what happens to the foliage at the end. I must not be understanding or looking at the wrong type of plant.
    Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. I thank everyone who replies in advance -- Beancounter
    PS -- if it's OK to post pics, I could give that a go, just need instructions.

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

HI there .. i have had a corn plant that tall before and some of the longer stalks broke off .. i had put them in a bucket with water and in a lil while they had rooted .. if you want take one off and stick it in a bucket and try and root it that way .. and if it makes it then do the rest .. just make sure not to dump the water out just keep adding to it .. plants love water that has been sittin a while .. like when i go to root my plants in a glass or jar i never clean out the water at all i just keep adding to it .. it is so green u can barely see thru the glass .. dont worry they love that ...
    when u cut the one stalk off tak a couple of the lower leaves off ..roots will form from there .. and when it has rooted the just pot it up .. you shouldnt have to much of a problem rooting them ..
    and u can post pics here .. use photobucket to upload pic there . once it is loaded there there will be 3 options below the pic like URL and IMG and one other one cant remember ..lol.. but copy and paste the bottom option to your post here and the pic should appear ...

good luck

Marn

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years