Identification: Bolete and Amanita ID help?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Chef Robin, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Chef Robin

Chef Robin Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify these two mushrooms that I found on my walk on the North Shore (Vancouver) yesterday?
    I believe one is a yellow amanita muscaria (found under a hemlock tree). The other may be a Bolete, but I've never seen one with a brown sponge? It was near a small cedar tree and more hemlock. It does not blue when bruised (spore print was hard cause it was wet and stained the page).

Thanks for any help in the ID

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Your Boletacea looks like a Chalciporus. But growing under Cedar and Hemlock - i'm not familiar with that one.

3. Chef Robin

Chef Robin Member

I think you are right about the Chalciporus piperatus, it can be found in coniferous forests. thanks for the tip

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

In past years I've rarely seen a red/brown pored bolete, never found one myself, only seen the odd one on mass specimen displays.
    This year however, I've found several of them!
    I spent time with one specimen, similar to yours, but could not key it out successfully as there were always slight but significant character differences.

I don't think red-pored boletes will be this season's theme mushroom group or species (I'm betting Laetiporus will eventually take that title) ... but I am intrigued as these boletes are new to me.

-frog

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Fortunately, there are only 5 species of Chalciporus in North America. C. piperatus is by far the most common and easy enough to test in the field (peppery taste!) but otherwise, I've met a million chalciporus and yours doesn't fit completely, although most people would call it that anyway.

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

OK, so maybe i've only met several hundred - but you get my drift ... =)

Off to a mushroom festival this afternoon!!!

7. Chef Robin

Chef Robin Member

And it does have that lemon- peppery taste in spades. What aspects about mine don't fit the bill for Chalciporus?

Ta
    Robin