Pictures of my Rabbit's Foot Ferns and Assorted Dracaenas*

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Laticauda, May 17, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I have two of these guys, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!

They are so interesting and easy to care for! (I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it must be right!)
    I think the bigger one looks rather odd (the round globe of foliage?)
    The smaller one is planted directly into the coir liner of the hanging basket. This is the first time I have tried this, but I figured since the rhizomes wrap around the pot, it may be a cool effect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Re: Pictures of my Rabbit's Foot Ferns

Any suggestions on what to do with the larger fern? Is this just it's natural form, or is the pot too small? How would I go about repotting it? I can't even get my finger into the soil, the rhizomes are so thick and criss-crossed over the top of the potting medium surface.

3. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Here are the Dracaena's I put together today. There's "Janet Craig" Compacta, and two D. marginata, one variegated. I plan for the Compacta to keep the bottom of the pot filled with foliage, and it gives a nice contrast to the bright and colorful, much thinner foliage of the taller marginatas. What do you guys think? I did this as an idea for a plant to go in my bathroom window sill. The window is east facing, but there is an awning over the porch that blocks almost all direct sunlight other than maybe an hour in the mid-morning. I'm afraid the lighting level will be wrong as well.....

I've been debating on topping off the darker of the two marginatas, but I can't be sure. I'm new to these plants, and only know basic care, not really anything to do with artistry or creativity! Any help or pictures or suggestions on my ideas would be GREAT!! THANKS!!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I only have a cell phone to work with, and I'm not really great at lighting and photography!

Attached Files:

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

If you use a wire basket ( like you have) line it with chicken wire, stuff it with moss, then plant the fern directly into it. The rhizomes will just insert themselves into the moss easliy and soon it will be a big ball of fern. To water just place in the sink or bathtub and soak it and let the water drain out.

5. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Do you think planting the dracaenas together will cause later problems with roots, or is a group planting like this ok?

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

They will be fine together, as long as you aren't planning on repotting them seperatly later on.