Care for Tigridia Pavonia (mexican shellflower)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by newgarden, May 21, 2005.

1. newgarden

newgarden Member

Hi I am new to gardening and I received a Tigridia Pavonia (mexican shellflower) as a mother's day gift and I have no idea how to care for it. We live in New Mexico so the climate is dry. I have it in a pot right now but it doesn't seem to be growing. Can someone help me please. :)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Newgarden,
    I planted some in pots and they rotted, they did not have full sun. They did have good drainage, but I keep them too wet obviously. The ones I planted in my garden are doing great, but I had to rescue them from the slugs first. The slugs here in Washington love to eat them all the way to the ground if you're not careful. The blooms are spectacular, but each bloom only lasts a day (maybe it should be called the Mexican Dayiris!) Mine are almost two feet high and a hot pink color. They definitely need full sun and not too much water! Good Luck, Karie

4. corryong

corryong Member

I grow Tigridea Pavonia (we know them as Jockey's cap lilly) in the south-east of Australia where our winters are frostry and the summers very hot.
    They grow best in well drained soil, sunny position, watered every two or three days.
    It is most important that the spent flowers are removed every day.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forum.
    Please note the thread you replied to
    is almost 6 years old.

6. corryong

corryong Member

Sorry saltcedar,
    I registered with UBC only yesterday and in my rush to explore the site didn't notice the date of the enquiry to which I replied.
    Hopefully it was resolved years ago!
    Regards from Corryong, aka the "Garden of Eden".