Help in figuring fungi on plant and treating the fungi

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by stara12, Feb 6, 2009.

1. stara12

stara12 Member

have this fungi on plant that is slowly killing away the leaves on the plant. starts with a white growth the size of a pen point then quickly spreads . the plant soon developes yellow like spots on the leaves then die soon after. need some help immediatley. thanks

Attached Files:

2. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi,

Just an idea. Do you know about scale insects ?

That's what it looks like to me.

Another insect possibility is mealy bugs, which live under a cottony cover, but I can't tell from your photos what size the spots are. These are very common on fleshy succulents.

Good luck with that.

JEff

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Your Sansevieria trifasciata appears to be also suffering from too much moisture in the potting medium, they tend to rot if kept moist... allow it to completely dry out before watering... Actually your plant may benefit a complete over hall, (I had to do the following to mine, in order to save off more rot) referring to removing the swords, rinse and let dry before planting into a semi dry potting medium...

This and flushing the mealy bug may correct the plant's current state of health.

It looks very healthy otherwise... good luck!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks like mealy bugs to me, too.

treat with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol - touch the white fluff (which is the bug) and they'll die just about instantly. then rub the leaves well with the alcohol - treat again in about 10 days (to catch any more that hatch). treat again in another 10 days if you still see any.

any other plants that are in close proximity should also be examined and treated if needed.

5. stara12

stara12 Member

Thanks all for the advise in treating the problem with the plant. I have read up on mealy bugs, but based on what i see i don't think is mealy bugs. as per the moisture in the plant that is rotting the plant. I have stopped watering on a daily bases until i see that the soil is standing solid once again.

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Daily ?

That kind of plant should be watered maybe every two or three weeks.

Except for overgrown outdoor hanging baskets in HOT weather, I don't know of any plant that should be watered more than twice a week.

You may be "killing them with kindness".

Best regards,

Fish Dr.