Very sad looking Pygmy Date Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by GreenFingersandToes, May 13, 2008.

1. GreenFingersandToes

GreenFingersandToes Member

Hi,

I bought a Pygmy Date Palm about two weeks ago, potted it up in a lovely new pot and it was decorating my decking nicely, until it started to turn brown. First the top fronds started to turn now they all appear to be turning.

Am I over-watering it? Also, I covered the top of the top with slate chippings - could this be causing it problems? It's in full sun (surprisingly its been roasting hot here in the UK) till about 3pm then its in shade.

I'm not sure what to do and being as it wasn't cheap I don't want to lose it.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

GF&T, it might be due to moving it from where they had it in the nursery and transplant shock. OK I'll start again, in the nursery they mave have had it under shade cloth or more shade than it is getting now. It may be an idea to introduce it to the sun slowly, not just bang it in full sun : )

Ed

3. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I agree with Ed, Also check the trunk or trunks there is a micro insect that appears like white powder I just used cotton swabs and alcohol and that seemed to get rid of them. You might have a deficeincy go to www.treehelp.com the pigmy have a problem getting pottasium and magnesium deficeicy's but that site will walk you through to what you need.

Tom24

4. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    I too have had the same thing happen to my pygmy date palm....all happy. Put it in nice soil with fertilizer spikes, anti-fungicide and well drained location. Trying to stretch the limits in my zone...it is at least 15 C here right now on average, with spikes to 30 C.

First, the lower fronds turned brown, stiff and died. Then, the upper ones and the new spear never opened. I now see some mold/fungus in the crown so it appears to be a gonner...

will sadly dig it up and throw it out! I share your disappointment!
    Good luck.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Anyone who's tried one of these palms has had a similar experience, even in areas that they're well suited. There seems to be a period of adjustment from nursery to it's new setting. Mites and mealy bugs can settle in quickly at the first sign of stress.

Cheers, LPN.