ID Orchid

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by basilavon, Sep 5, 2010.

1. basilavon

basilavon Member

Is this an orchid?
    Individual flowers (c. 1 cm), flower stalk and leaves are definitely orchid like.
    It was found Sept 5 in the Gatineau Park near Ottawa, was less than 12 inches high and was growing adjacent to a wetland.
    Species ID would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I think I would agree with Spiranthes cernua. Do you have any picutres straight-on of the flowers? There is a possiblility it could be S. magnicamporum. Not sure if they both grow in the Gatineau, though.

As an aside, if you go back to the same location in spring and summer, you are sure to see lots of other orchids in bloom too.

4. basilavon

basilavon Member

Thank you very much for all the help with the species ID and tips for seeing other orchids in flower.
    Unfortunately the only pictures I have are of the flower spike and not of individual flowers.
    Would June next year be the best time to see other orchids in flower?
    Again, many thanks for the help.

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

You're welcome.

June is one of the best times to orchids in many areas of Cananda, including the Ottawa area. From late May to early July, you should be able to see several species of Cypripedium, several species of Platanthera, Aplectrum hyemale, Galearis spectabilis, Coeloglossum viride and a few others. I don't know what specifically is found in Gatineau, but I would almost guarantee you will see something in bloom in June there. Try contacting the Ottawa Orchid Society http://www.ottawaorchidsociety.com/ Marilyn Light has done a lot of work in that area with native orchids, and should be able to help you. Good luck!

6. basilavon

basilavon Member

Again, thank you for the helpful information.