Shrivelling Jade Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bnkemp, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bnkemp

bnkemp Member

I need help with a Jade plant I've had for years. It recently started dropping leaves and some of the branches are shrivelling up. The main trunk is still turgid, but many of the smaller branches are going soft and breaking off. Right now it only has a few leaves left.
    I recently treated it with incecticidal soap for mealy bugs. It at first thought that the soap might have done something to it, but I have another jade that was almost identical, that I treated as well, and is not suffering.
    I did notice that it was not getting as much light as my jade that is fine, and so I moved it, but nothing seems to have improved.
    I know it hasn't been over watered, though it hasn't been re-potted in 2 years (neither has the one that is fine, though)
    What does this sound like it is? What should I do? Is my plant a lost cause?

I'd greatly appreaciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    Brooke

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Brooke,

Generally when a jade plant plant shrivels it has been overwatered at some point or was in standing water too long. You may need to repot it and take cuttings to root new ones. Take a look at the first few here that talk about this problem.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/jade.htm

Good luck,
    Newt

3. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

It sounds like the jade has rot. I would prune it and repot, cutting all of the soft branches off of it. It may take a while for it to recover, and don't water it for a bit.