To do cutting from Acer palmatum atropurpureum.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by J. Velasco, Dec 29, 2004.

1. J. Velasco

J. Velasco Member

Hello guys, I would like to try to do some cuttings from my Acer palmatum atropurpureum, it has some long branches that I want to prune and take advantange to do cuttings.

In Murcia (Spain), its coming the winter, the palmatum has no any leaves. I have tried to do cuttings from other species but I had not luck.

Please, if you can advice me how to do, I will be happy!
    Thanks in advance!

Jose.

2. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have had limited success rooting palmatums. I prefer grafting, but try this: Take cuttings after they harden off, probably June. Remove all but 2 leaves. Cut the base at a sharp angle and dip in rooting hormone. Stick them in a medium of 50% perlite and 50% sifted peatmoss and place them under a poly tent and mist daily or put them under a mist system in 50% shade.

Don't disturb them until the next spring. I am in awe at how the cuttings can look fine for 6 months and still have no roots. You won't know until spring and they leaf out as to whether they have roots or not.

I think that you will find that seedlings from your maple will grow faster and be easier than rooting cuttings. You will find that for your maple, most of the seedlings will look like the parent.

Dale