Transplanted 10 Evergrees, But..

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by newgreenthumb, May 31, 2008.

1. newgreenthumb

newgreenthumb Member

I transplanted some evergreens two weeks ago. During the transplant I borke some limbs and there were alreay some dead. Should I cut off the dead limbs? I also heard that I should cut off the bottom limbs 1.5 - 2 feet up. Or should I just leave the trees alone. Also how long should I keep the tie down on the trees? I was told at least one year.

thank you

Lonnie

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What are they? 'Evergreens' can mean all sorts of different plants that just happen to have leaves that don't all drop off in winter. What to do may differ greatly depending on what they are.

3. newgreenthumb

newgreenthumb Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm not sure what type of evergreens they are they are all the same. How do I tell?

Thank you
    Lonnie

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post a photo?

5. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

RE: Should I cut off the dead limbs?

notwithstanding your not knowing what they are, if the limbs are in fact "dead" then there is no harm in removing them and no reason to keep them. There was only one resurrection and they will not come back to life :)

depending on what they are new branches may eventually grow where the old dead ones were removed. However, if you're correct in thinking they are conifers, that would be the exception more than the rule. Many are loathe to break buds from old wood. Some do.

If you can't post a picture, what does it look like? Are the leaves broad or needle like?