Identification: Help Identifying this Mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by stephenclement, Nov 17, 2010.

1. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

I couldnt find it in my books. I discovered this growing in a recent disturbed area of fir needles, mulch. Looks similar to the Russulas and it dosent bleed like a lactarius. The spore print is light colored lavender, gills attached to stem. The outside is very slimy when wet. Gills are pale yellow to yellow and stalk and gills stain darker yellow. I can appreciate guesses as well. Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you check to see if the lavender spore print is actually the stain from lavender latex?

Although this mushroom is not ringing any bells for me exactly, it might be a Lactarius, and lavender latex would seem more likely than that colour of spore.

It's possible that the mushroom either did not provide a spore print, or a white spore print was obscured by the lavender latex; that it was too dry to bleed when you checked but that it later released latex after being in a more moist condition.

-frog

3. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

Upon a second print and some better lighting, the spores are a light brownish color. Looked lavender under the halogen lights. I believe ruling out lactarius is safe as it defiantly does not bleed. I still would love to know what this one is although recent snow and -9 temperatures have put a halt on shroom hunting season.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

For a brown spore colour, I'm thinking Paxillus, maybe P. involutus.

cheers,
    frog

5. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

I think you've nailed it although I should dig one up from the snow as I thought I remember the stalk being larger than 2 cm wide. Either way Paxillus seems to be the correct Genus. Thank you very much, I love learning new shrooms. Now I gotta talk to my neighbor whom I saw harvesting hand fulls of this mushroom and give fair warning.