grapefruit

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by william garth campbell, Jan 26, 2009.

1. william garth campbell

william garth campbell Member

I have a grapefruit tree that I grew from seed. It is about nine years old and never flowered. Can iI get this tree to flower? I would also like to know if there is a good time of year to try to graft some lemon and lime cuttings onto this tree. This tree has never had much growth during winter months, however this year it is growing about a inch a day for the last three weeks! It is also growing the biggest leaves I have seen on it, can any one tell me what is happening?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Yes, it happened to me about 22 years ago, the growth cycle of your citrus (grapefruit) is on a new growth pattern which could have resulted for many reasons, fertization/light conditions/humidity etc... the chance of your tree blooming... that could be for another 10 years... or never.... is it indoors only? Out of doors for the summer?

Grafting on an unknown rootstock is , well bravado, however it is certainly worth an effort, say, in the spring when temps are higher (above 13c) and sunlight hours much longer...

What latitude is Tilbury? I am too lazy to look Google it!