West End / Stanley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm surprised that I never posted what were two nice 'Shirotae' at the Aquarium. The first photo is from 2010. The whole entrance area seems to have been replaced with what I think are native plantings, and a lot of native concrete. They seem to be very happy with their new look.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

We don't often get to see 'Autumnalis Rosea' flowers with the leaves. For one thing, with the leaves, these tiny flowers are even less visible. The photos are deceptive - the flowers are not even 2cm across. These are the oft-posted trees in the lane behind the hostel on Burnaby at Thurlow.

Attached Files:

3. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here are the same trees with their very early blossoms and old leaves but a magnificent blue sky to show them off.

4. Sue Wagner

One Accolade tree in the grove beside the Aquatic Centre believes it's spring and is catching up to the Autumnalis rosea a couple of blocks away. In the next couple of days when I won't be in Vancouver and the sky is supposed to be blue, I hope someone will manage to get a good New Year picture of these beauties.

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

This 'Whitcomb' tree on Nelson at Bute is not fully in bloom, but it has lots of colour as of February 2. Someone not (yet) related to the festival mentioned it to me yesterday.

This is early, but it's not the earliest for this tree. On February 5, 2010, I declared all the West End 'Whitcomb' to be "in bloom". This tree this year is maybe 50% open. The ones at the other end of the block are not as far along as this one.

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

Ding! These 'Whitcomb' are IN BLOOM, according to my definition of being visible from two blocks away. The first are at Nicola mini-park at Pendrell, and the others are on Nicola at Beach.
    20150208_NicolaMinipark_Whitcomb_Cutler_150918.jpg 20150208_NicolaMinipark_Whitcomb_Cutler_150715.jpg
    20150208_NicolaBeach_Whitcomb_Cutler_150946.jpg 20150208_NicolaBeach_Whitcomb_Cutler_151158.jpg

This 'Autumnalis Rosea' tree was also a splash of colour today. It's one of a dozen trees that now are very unexciting. I was away for the winter, don't know if the others had their moment or what, but this one looks better than I've ever seen any of them.
    20150208_PacificAveBurrard_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler_152502.jpg 20150208_PacificAveBurrard_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler_152613.jpg

7. wcutler

I didn't realize when I saw the trees at the Nicola mini-park at Pendrell, see the previous posting, that they looked so good because one of the 'Autumnalis Rosea' trees is missing. I'm not sure why they left the rootstock trunk; maybe it will eventually get removed.
    20150218_NicolaMinipark_AR_Cutler_144939.jpg 20150218_NicolaMinipark_Whitcomb_Cutler_144958.jpg

'Accolade' trees are not yet looking good, not yet worth photos. The ones at the Aquatic Centre have a lot of flowers, but seem like they could still be a week from being in bloom.

8. Sue Wagner

According to the criterion of "two blocks away pink", I think that the Accolades near the Aquatic Centre were in bloom on Tuesday--here are two pictures I took then. The slightly blurred image is because my camera simply doesn't do telephoto images very well.

Attached Files:

9. Sue Wagner

And the glorious Whitcomb at Nicola was past its full blaze of glory on the 16th....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2021
  10. wcutler

In the new version of our book, we're using the name ito-zakura for the Prunus subhirtella var. pendula to which we have not given a more specific name. So that's what I'm calling the two white trees that have appeared here several times before. You can see the darker 'Beni-shidare' between them, and the one with no open flowers is the later-blooming 'Yae-beni-shidare'.
    20150227_Ito-zakura_ThurlowBasrclay_Cutler_161144.jpg 20150227_Ito-zakura_ThurlowBasrclay_Cutler_161149.jpg 20150227_ThurlowBarclay_Ito-zakura_Cutler_161251.jpg

Around the corner are what's left of what used to be the same sort of collection.
    20150227_wereBeni-shidare_BarclayThurlow_Cutler_161455.jpg 20150227_wereBeni-shidare_BarclayThurlow_Cutler_161518.jpg

11. wcutler

'Accolade' this year are driving me crazy. Here in the West End, supposedly the first neighbourhood to bloom, are the 'Accolade' trees at the mini-park at Comox and Chilco. The trees in the minipark are at the same not-yet-blooming stage.
    20150228_ComoxChilco_Accolade_Cutler_170034.jpg 20150228_ComoxChilco_Accolade_Cutler_170219.jpg 20150228_ComoxChilco_Accolade_Cutler_170227.jpg

Across the lane, here are 'Accolade' trees in full bloom.
    20150228_ChilcoNelson_Accolade_Cutler_170128.jpg

All these trees have always been 'Accolade'; they have been reported here every year.

Sue Wagner reported this cultivar in full bloom at the Aquatic Centre on February 19. I thought the 21st was more like it, but whatever, that was nine days before these trees of the same cultivar barely started to bloom. A block from the Aquatic Centre are two 'Accolade' trees that have as many flowers open as the Comox trees - just enough to confirm that they're not something else.

I also saw this in in several places on Pender Street in Strathcona, the three blocks of 'Accolade' trees, with two trees next to each other, one almost fully open and the other with 10 flowers open and the rest buds.

As far as I can tell, all 'Pandora' on our map are fully open now. 'Accolade' should be blooming right after 'Whitcomb', with 'Pandora', according to previous years, blooming several days to two weeks later.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

The 'Akebono' trees in Stanley Park are just starting to bloom, first blossoms opened today.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

This is that location, on Pacific Street at Burrard, fully open now. There were some flowers five days ago - the blossom photo was taken then.

Attached Files:

14. Sue Wagner

The triplet Akebonos near the skate board park on the seawall are in full bloom for St. Patrick's Day. Their location with the Planetarium and the Burrard Street Bridge in the background makes them a great attraction for tourists and locals. Unfortunately the tree nearest the water seems to be in danger as it is being overtaken by its rootstock.

15. wcutler

Hey, an addition to the list of what cherries are in this neighbourhood: Star Cherry. I have seen it in previous years and assumed it was 'Beni-shidare', but just as well that I don't seem to have posted it. It's on the road right over the bike overpass between Ceperley meadow and Ceperley playground. There are actually two of these trees very close together, so they appear as if one tree, an old wizened one and one with a diameter of around 8cm. I have no idea if the second is a seedling or what its story is.
    20150327_StanleyPkDrCeperleyUnderpass_StarCherry_Cutler_P1170037.JPG 20150327_StanleyPkDrCeperleyUnderpass_StarCherry_Cutler_P1170034.JPG 20150327_StanleyPkDrCeperleyUnderpass_StarCherry_Cutler_P1170041.jpg 20150327_StanleyPkDrCeperleyUnderpass_StarCherry_Cutler_P1170048.jpg

The 'Snow Goose' along Ceperley Meadow are coming along, though the three closest to the underpass are not looking too good.
    20150327_CeperleyMeadow_SnowGoose_Cutler_P1170035.JPG

These two old 'Shirotae' at Lost Lagoon are just past their prime; they still smell lovely.
    20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_Shirotae_Cutler_P1170007.JPG 20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_Shirotae_Cutler_P1170013.JPG

The next photo shows two young 'Shirotae' planted on the lagoon side of the path.
    From the same vantage point, way off in the distance is a grove of young 'Akebono', around six or seven years old, just before the underpass to Coal Harbour.
    20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_YoungShirotae_Cutler_P1170010.jpg 20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_Somei-yoshinoShirotae_Cutler_P1170018.JPG

In the same area as the 'Shirotae' are two old 'Somei-yoshino', looking nothing like 'Akebono'. Also right near there are the three 'Autumnalis Rosea', still trying to be players. Just a few flowers on each.
    20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_P1170014.JPG 20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_P1170017.JPG 20150327_StanleyPkLostLagoon_AR_Cutler_P1170008.JPG

The 'Gyoiko' along the Rhody path, near the maintenance yard, has not opened at all. Buds are much more green than the leaves at this point.
    20150327_StanleyPkRhodyPath_Gyoiko_Cutler_P1170025.JPG

The nearby 'Shujaku' has nothing open yet, but buds are red.

16. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Takasago in the rain near the rockery north of Upper Rose Garden

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  17. Willard

Under the old Ojochin at the Japanese War Memorial with Bill Stephen and Wendy Cutler on a very rainy day. A great walk and talk!

Attached Files:

18. Willard

A walk down memory lane . Shirotae lane at Japanese War Memorial this morning.

Attached Files:

19. Willard

Green without envy.

Gyoiko just starting to bloom outside of Pitch and Putt Maintenance yard.

Attached Files:

20. Willard

Eager beaver.

Shirofugen blooming in March north of Japanese War Memorial in Stanley Park.

Attached Files:

21. Willard

Tai-haku?
    On path to Pooh Daycare, just off Lagoon Drive north of Barclay.

Attached Files:

22. wcutler

It's mazzard, sweet cherry. Your photo nicely captures the curled-back sepals. 'Tai-haku' flowers are very large. You can see flowers now on Nelson between Gilford and Chilco, south side.

23. Willard

Ichiyo in full bloom- on north side of lane between Barclay and Nelson, east of Cardero.
    On private property behind fence.

Attached Files:

24. Willard

Gyoiko

Tree planted inside fence at Pitch and Putt - Stanley Park. Looks like it is strangled by some vines.

Attached Files:

25. Willard

Two handsome Tai-haku trees on south side of Nelson between Gilford and Chilco.
    Near the end of bloom.

Attached Files: