Tallest Maple 'Humboldt Honey' 157.8 ft / 48 m

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by M. D. Vaden, Nov 7, 2012.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I see that the BC Big Trees Registry shows a Bigleaf Maple 160 ft tall in Stanley Park. That was measured in 2002; so I don't know if it is still alive. If it is, it may have grown even taller, or lost its top in a recent windstorm. It would be interesting to find out its current status.

3. M. D. Vaden

About a week ago, I called the park about that one. The person I talked to also said the location listed for the tree is the part of the park that was took the biggest hit from the storm.

There is a big question mark about the measurement. Dr. Van Pelt (Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast) mentioned this summer that more than a handful of tall tree measurements have been off the mark. Including a 158 ft. (said to be) maple in Washington, that was really closer to 148 ft. tall.

It seems a curious thing that when tall tree measurements are off the mark, they generally seem higher, rather than lower.

A nice upgrade for future big tree registry lists, would be to include the equipment or method used to measure the height. Whether climbing, laser, comparing shadow heights, stick method, etc..

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes.

5. M. D. Vaden

New measurement for 2014

Breached 160 ft.

160.43 ft / 48.89 m

Good growth and plenty of space between nodes, even through the very dry year in northern California.