Identification: Peziza ellipsospora in BC?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by vitog, Apr 2, 2011.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Today, while exploring in the North Shore Mountains, I found my first truffle, which I have tentatively identified as Peziza ellipsospora. Since I could find no Web references to this truffle for BC, I'm curious if it is rare or even not previously reported here. Or perhaps it is a different similar species. If anyone can shed some light on this, please respond. This specimen has a delicious aroma identical to commercial truffle oil or paste.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Congratulations - nice find & a very beautiful one!

It's not a species I've encountered before.
    I'm wondering if you've considered Hydnotrya sp. as a possibility?

-frog

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Frog, I made a tentative ID based on the photo on p. 87 of http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_gtr772.pdf, after keying it out in the "Keys to Genera". I see that the photo of Hydnotrya cubispora on the cover page is also a pretty good match, although the colour is lighter than my specimen. The two genera react differently to Melzer's reagent; so it will probably take chemical tests or microscopic examination to be sure of the ID. Would it be worthwhile to bring the specimen to the next VMS meeting for another opinion?

Thanks,
    Vito

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Vito,

Yes that sounds like a good idea: I suggest speaking to Sharmin, Paul, Terry or Brooke on this specimen. One of them may be able to positively ID it, but if not, I expect they could narrow the choices to simplify the chem/micro examination. Next meeting is April 12.

I'm thinking that with the P. ellipsospora ID you may have both a range and host incompatibility, but of course ranges/hosts can always surprise us sometimes.

There are some darker Hydnotrya species, with range and known mycorrhizal hosts compatible with the North Shore, as well as a few other genera that at least look similar.

Interestingly, I've just found that a synonym to Peziza ellipsospora is Hydnotrya ellipsospora <grin>.

cheers,
    -frog