Huge lily bulb

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by soccerdad, Mar 29, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have a lily that grows about 7' high (2.2 m to you young folks). The flower is dark purple and very fragrant. I planted it some years ago but have no recollection of what lily it is.

Two years ago a second flower stem grew.

I decided this week that it was probably time to split the bulb into two and plant the two parts several inches apart.

I dug up the bulb and it is really enormous - about 7" in diameter. Pictures attached, one showing the bulb in my hand and another showing the bottom of the bulb.

I THINK that I might be able to split it into two parts, but I am afraid of hurting it. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Black Dragon' perhaps. Put it back until it has more clearly split itself into sections.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Thanks. I have now done so.

FYI here is a photo of the lily, with one of the neighbourhood bald guys for scale.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm surprised the picture didn't come out overexposed. The bald guy would of course be someone else from the neighborhood.

Even though I gave the wrong name ('Black Dragon') your picture shows the same cultivar I had in mind. Correct name continues to evade. It's a common one so looking at some sites or catalogs should turn it up.