Shape of grass/flowerbed

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by KarinL, Mar 3, 2006.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wonder if someone would like to exercise their design brain cells on this problem...

We have done some fairly extensive hardscaping in our back yard, and are left with the patch that is going to become lawn with some planting opportunities in/around it. The question, is, wither the plants, and what shape the lawn? Originally, we thought we would make the grass a circular patch with plants more or less all around (except by the fence, where we think a bench will go). That's photo number one. However, this plan sort of smooshed all the plants together somewhat indiscriminately and had some other drawbacks - such as, how to walk to the grass? So then we thought perhaps a meandering long flower bed through the grass, with a bit of flagstone alongside, along the lines of photo number two. A clean edge to the grass on all sides was somehow also appealing. Now I am having second thoughts about this layout too, as I'm not quite able to visualize the transitions at either end and can't get the swoop quite to my satisfaction.

I suspect that one problem is the very straight brick pathway that borders the future grass on the left. Perhaps we need to curve that somehow, and integrate it with whatever we put through the grass area. That is an option.

Anyway, as I'm mulling this I'd be interested in other opinions.

We do realize that any grass at all, in such a small amount, has the potential to be a large headache, but we're determined to try it - we may go to ground cover later.

Please pardon the mess, by the way - mostly it's plants waiting for their homes to be determined!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The flowing shape on the right is much more pleasant to look at than the static circle.

3. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

Hi KarinL
    Oh ... I can't resist. Firstly What a great job you did...... this is a nice space.
    In looking at your two chioces of lawn/border lay out, I far prefer #1, and I'd put a exit/entry to it right off the straight brick walkway. The bench needs to focus to a view.... so figure out what you want to sit and focus on and that is the obvious angle of the bench. With a circle you could vary it from time to time. Remember to use some verticle elements to balance things. I've often used an object (step ladder, lawn chair) to replicate the sense of the bulk or height of plant material planned for a planting bed, in order for client to get what the garden would 'feel' like.
    There's an awful lot of nice ways to show this yard off anyway, lots of potenetial, thanks to your hard work.

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I prefer the meandering shape on the right as well.

5. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Karin,

I was just wondering about the grass area you are planning. Due to the maintenence issues involved, I tend not to plant grass unless there is a specific function or asthetic appeal for the intended area. Also, I think it is wise, when ever possible to design the space first (with function in mind), then make the plant choices. Looking at the area mentioned, I was thinking about the possibility of a water feature - I guess I've had this on my mind lately. All that said, I think you are doing a great job - a lovely space in the making. Good luck!

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

circular design gets my vote.

7. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I like the flowing idea on the right also. however I would suggest to think of alternative groundcover for the 'lawn' space. perhaps a creeping thyme, creeping mint or blue star creeper? there are lots of possibilities to choose from.

8. elle

elle Member

I was laughing out loud reading all the opinions regarding your space. Succinclty , I don't like grass much at all for so many reasons. BUT, do you have dogs, small children (either in house our visiting) and do you like the 'visual calm' that grass can provide. Those maybe compeling reasons to keep your grass. Mine is tucked into the bottom corner of my garden for just those reasons.
    Re: the path on the left which is so darn straight. Yes, please change it to be more in keeping with the very nice proposed design plan on the right. And all the best to you, it looks like it will be a most pleasant space to spend time in.
    El

9. KarinL

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and opinions. Yes, we need something green for visual calm and to soften what is perhaps already an excess of hardscape. The grass will be in on a trial basis - if DH doesn't mow it, its 'thyme' will come!

I have been toying with flaring the walkway at left for smooth integration with the left hand path (whether we change it or not a path of some sort will stay there) and at right towards the imaginary bench, perhaps even to make a pad for the bench to stand on - and perhaps the shape of what comes in between will become more evident as I doodle.

I very much appreciate the additional considerations raised!

10. KarinL

I thought I would update with what we ended up doing. Gordo, you were prophetic as there was a fountain in the garage that we received as a gift and were thinking about whether to include. We have left the very straight left side pathway for now, but might yet extend the flagstone there someday, depending on how it looks once plants fill in. We got sod, so the transformation was pretty instant. Not all the plants are in the ground yet, still contemplating the selection.

Thanks again for the input.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  11. Ron B

Take the lower, rectilinear bed edging out. Bisecting the grass into two, small, jagged (in the case of the lower lawn) shapes was not a good idea. At this point the lower lawn might best be replaced with border. The upper lawn, while also dinky, at least has a comparatively soft, flowing shape. You have now definitely gotten to the point where the spaces involved are too small for grass. Plenty of "green" can be provided by full use of broadleaf evergreen shrubs, much of your existing space remains unplanted or lightly planted, with small plants not yet in scale.

Another problem is that the new path continues past the fountain and opens to, deadends at a blank wall. Ordinarily an object like a fountain would be placed at the end of a path, or at the intersection of paths, in both cases as a destination or at least as a stopping point on the way to something even more important. If you are planning to hang something on the fence, you will still have the problem of the fountain being right there as well, competing for attention. Maybe you are planning to put a bench in front of the fence, thus the widening of the path at the fence end. That might make sense, one would walk past the fountain then turn and sit in the shade of the fence, enjoy the fountain. If you took out the upper lawn and replaced it with a border that formed a backdrop to the fountain, as viewed from the fence then that might work quite nicely.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  12. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Karin,

Like the fountain, love the stonework; you did a wonderful job fitting the pieces. It becomes obvious now that the fountain area is now a separate space or "room", as they say. I agree with Ron that the path requires a destination and that a bench could work quite well here, with a nice vista. My advice; purchase more flags as budget allows - enough to finish the lower right hand corner "bench" area. In the meantime, let DH mow this area for a season to discover what a pain it is to get the mower in here. Next year, more pavers in the upper lawn area & plantings in the lower lawn area.

13. Ron B

Apart from trying to move the mower around in small, angular spaces esp. if a power mower is used another thing that will be noticed is cut grass will get thrown onto the nearby paving and plantings. Regarding replacing the lawns, I'd do it the other way around: planting above the new path (behind the fountain, as viewed from angle shown), paving below the new path (in front of the fountain, so that you end up with a terrace instead of a path). If you expanded the paving in that fashion you could set up a table and chairs, have the fountain gurgling nearby.

Plantings behind the fountain should be tall enough to screen the shed behind, direct the eye to the terrace, fountain (and furniture, if that was added). The way it is now from this angle there are competing focal points. The portion at the back, including the shed should be walled off, to be discovered after walking past the area in front of the fountain. In a small garden an illusion of greater size can be created by dividing the space into "rooms".

14. KarinL

Thanks gentlemen for taking the time again to think about this. Yes, Ron, there is a bench, and I apologize for not mentioning it; it is so obvious in my mind that I assume others can "see" it! It isn't in the photos because we don't actually have it yet...

For mowing, the grass is indeed an experiment. DH "mowed" for the first time this week with a relic Flymo hovercraft mower that someone gave us, kind of a string trimmer with a hat, which hovers courtesy of some downdraft airjets produced by a stinky two-stroke motor. No plants were blown out of place, and the grass got cut with really a minimal amount of problematic cuttings spread around, but even if we get a nice little reel mower, I too predict a period of disenchantment with mowing! I was thinking of replacing it with thyme or other ground cover but hadn't thought of either extending the rectilinear bed or paving more... good ideas to keep in reserve.

Expanding the bed behind the fountain is also an intriguing idea, especially given the burgeoning dwarf conifer collection... and screening the shed. I had totally not thought of that as being a desirable thing, partly because where I live it is nice to be able to see your whole yard to check that there are no undesirable life forms wandering around in it. But a little deciduous growth that screens without blocking... definitely worth considering.

It all depends on DH and the mowing... To this point he's been able to blame me for the state of the yard, and now I can shift the burden to him!