orchids-help

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by sungodess134, Nov 7, 2007.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

Hi everybody, I have a neighbor who moved and gave me these two orchids. I have never attempted orchids, as I have always heard they were temperamental but I love plants. Can anyone help me? I would like to identify them, know what that black stuff is on their stems, where do I place them (I live in sunny south florida, right now the temp is low 60s at night mid 80' during the day, but then what about summertime) are they too big for their containers, how do I move them? I have lots of questions and nobody to ask but you all. I need a quick course. thanks for all the help. me.

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

NOt sure about the id. You can either pot them up in an orchid mix (bark etc) or tie them on to a tree that doesn't lose its bark with stockings. They need bright light but not full sun. Most orchids are epiphytes, which generally means they grow on trees. That root growth coming out the side of your pot, would easily take to a tree. You could carefully divide that plant as well, if you wanted to.

Ed

3. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I'm kinda guessing a type of Cattleya hybrid?

4. sungodess134

yes, I googled the cattleya hybrid, looks alot like it, thanks Jo Ann
    what do you mean by tying it to a tree with a stocking? like pantyhose? or a special orchid stocking? I am completely new at this. I also have oak trees, which would provide shade, or a few natural pines, that would not? which would be better? thanks, again. me.

5. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

HI sungodess134,

I’ve just started to experiment with orchids recently and I have to say yours look very healthy. Since I really don’t have enough experience to give advice, I really don’t feel comfortable suggesting what to do. Here is a forum I like to go to on Orchids the people are very friendly and knowledgeable

http://www.orchidboard.com/

6. sungodess134

thanks looks good.