Cherry kanzan out of season blooming

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by FernP, Oct 6, 2009.

1. FernP

FernP Member

I wasn't sure where to post this since I didn't spot any threads about cherry trees in the genus rosa section.

I bought a prunus serrulata kanzan (cherry kanzan) a few months ago. Planted and staked it and it has survived the heat of the summer. It's now autumn, hence lower temperatures and lots of rain, but I have spotted quite a few small white flowers blooming all over the branches. Is this normal for a young kanzan? Shouldn't the flowers be larger?

Thanks for your help =)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The leaf burn and sparseness are more a cause for concern than the appearance of some atypical off-season flowers. If you get it to do well later and the normal spring mass bloom is not right for the cultivar, then you can wonder if it is true-to-name.

3. FernP

FernP Member

It was planted at the height of a dry and windy summer so that would probably explain the scorched leaves. The weather took a turn as we entered the Autumn so I hope that won't be a problem anymore.

Thanks for the advice though, I will wait until spring to see whether they sent the cultivar I ordered or not.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know whether you are still around reading the forums, but now that I know more, I would say that those leaves are Prunus avium leaves, not 'Kanzan'. Did you replace the tree?