Fir tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by hedda sorensen, Jul 22, 2010.

1. hedda sorensen

hedda sorensen Member

Attached is a picture of my little tree buddy, some kind of evergreen that began its life in an abandoned pot of dirt in Michigan about two years ago. Over the past two years I've become attached. About four months ago we relocated to Kentucky. Suddenly, my friend is turning brown and I don't know why. I'd like to identify it in hopes of saving it from destruction. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It's definitely not a fir. It looks like an Eastern Red Cedar, or some other type of Juniper.

3. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

Get it in a sunny window and clip off the brown parts...red cedar is very durable (we had 10 foot 'shrubs' of the stuff behind our fence in the UP of Michigan and it is pretty tough). Probably the change in climate and lighting got to it, so baby it for a while.

Does much better outside than indoors though!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's an Arborvitae Thuja occidentalis.

In junipers, the shoots are slenderer, and not in flat sprays; in firs and cedars, the shoots have needle-leaves 2-4cm long, not scale leaves like this.

Give the plant plenty of light, and make sure the soil is just moist, not dry nor soggy. It would also very much rather be outside growing in the ground, not in a pot. It needs outdoor weather, including a good winter dormant spell; keeping it warm indoors in winter is very bad for it.

After planting outdoors, protect it from deer browsing (if you have deer), and water regularly for the first few months until it is established.