over wintering Day Lily roots..

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Marn, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I had recieved a paper bag full of Day Lily roots and i dont think im gonna get around to getting them planted before winter ..will they do ok overwintered and what is the best way to store them ... i live in Union Oregon ... (NE Oregon) and i dont know my zone .. i can never get that right ...lol.. :)

any help would be greatfully appreciated ..

Thank.

Marion

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

You could try burying the bulbs in a deep pot and then laying leaves over the top of the soil, and placing in a cool garage to over~winter.

: )

3. Marn

That would take alot of pots and dirt ..lol..i have a brown paper bag full of them .. i know they survive in the ground here just fine .. no one digs them up at all .. this was a elderly lady thinning out her garden and she had alot of them ..eve my bag full didnt put a dent in the box she had .. and she had more to dig ..lol..
    i think thy might be ok in a few bags wrapped in paper in my storage shed .. i have room there ..

thanks ..

Marion

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi marn,

If you can get hold of a wooden orange box, or any wooden box for that matter, big one then wrap like they wrap each root in newspaper then cover with seveal layers of newspaper. Sounds like your going to have a blooming good 2010...lol

Good luck Marn!

5. Marn

Ya my neighbour mentioned wooden boxes also when i was storing my Dahlias and others ..but i dont think i can get ahold of that ..

I have an idea since i dont have the room here .. i have a 40g long fish tank that is in a rented storage unit ill line that with paper and also wrap the roots in paper and store it there for the winter .. it should be ok there .. that fish tank should give me the room i need .. that was just something that popped into my head last night .. lol

Ya i will have alot of these yellow daylilies for next year .. i have a Quince bush that im gonna plant them on either side of ..

Marion

6. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Marn:

In the fall, the roots are best buried in the ground, with a ton of mulch piled on top to protect them. If it is difficult for you to get them in the ground, however...

Store the bulbs in a garage or basement. If being stored in a garage, pack the bulbs into a smaller container of dirt and then packed again in a bed of sphagnum moss, inside a box or tub. Don't forget, they still need moisture over winter - do NOT let them dry out!

Hope this helps you.

: )

7. Marn

Well seeing how the weather has been not to bad this week i may get them in the ground .. it has been not to bad in the daytime .. i know they have to be burried almost a foot deep ..depending on the size of them ..... that is alot of digging for me ..lol.. ill see what i can get done for them ..

Marion

8. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Marion - don't worry too much. I threw some on top of a compost "pile" in early winter, and next year they were in bloom!

9. Marn

lol.. ya i know they are pretty hardy .. the lady that i got them from said that if they dont survive she has tons more ...lol..
    there seems to be alot of people giving away perrenials on Freecycle .. cant beat it ..

Marion