Rose of Sharon

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by PamMcM, Sep 21, 2009.

1. PamMcM

PamMcM Member

Hi..I am new here and still making my way through your forum. Please forgive me if I have put this in the wrong place! I was given a Rose of Sharon (Althea I think)....is it possible to grow this in a large container? I do not have a place in my garden for it and I dont want to have to get rid of it!!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Would be hardier to cold in the ground. Size can be controlled by pruning low early each spring. Blooms on new growth, so this treatment does not interfere with flowering.

3. PamMcM

PamMcM Member

Thank you for your help Ron :)

4. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

I have read that the rule of thumb is this: In order for a plant to survive the winter outdoors, out of the ground in a pot, it needs to be hardy to 2 zones colder. So if you are in zone 5, the plant in the pot will survive the winter in that pot if it is hardy to zone 3.

I don't know this from experience. It is just something that I have read.

Perhaps you can sink the pot in the ground in an out of the way spot until spring?

5. PamMcM

PamMcM Member

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and share your ideas with me!! I think I will try putting it in the ground til spring and then potting it so I can have it in the space I am hoping to!!