Can Bamboo roots harm a building

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Unregistered, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Hi
    I live in a strata complex and one of the neighbours has planted bamboo which is spreading into our lawn. He has put down a 3 foot devider to stop the spreading, but it continues. Is there any possibility that it can harm the building foundation (We are in duplexes)

Thanks for your help

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Honestly it depends on the variety of bamboo. It is your nieghbors responsibility to deal with it. Talk to them.
    Carol Ja

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The part of the bamboo that spreads is the rhizome. It will not damage concrete. But wooden structures and even asphalt is no match for a bamboo determined to spread. I have posted control measures in another thread, but the general idea is as follows:
    1. First, you need to isolate the bamboo that is on your side of the property from the parent clump on his side. This means digging a foot down all along the property line to seek out the rhizomes. If you find any crossing the property line, cut them off.
    2. Now that you have isolated the bamboo on your side of the fence, you can get to work starving those plants of nutrients. You do this by cutting down any and all culms ("canes") right to the ground.
    3. Then, for the next 2-3 years keep a vigilant eye out for any new shoots that might emerge and cut these off as soon as they appear.
    4. To maintain your property free of invading bamboo from his side of the property, get your spade out every spring and dig along the trench you have created in (1) above, and severe any new rhizomes that may have crossed the border.

4. Carol Ja

At what point is the neighbour responsible to put a stop to the bamboo? We have a similar problem here with blackberries, if the nieghbor doesn't deal with hers we find them coming through the fence.
    Carol Ja

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

You will have to ask the folks at your city hall for an answer to that question.

6. Carol Ja

I wish it were that easy, I live on Salt Spring Island B.C, we have what is called the Islands Trust, ( no mayor or such) it's really hard to explain, but they won't answer to stuff like this. ( You could however make a profit on a forum about 'The Islands Trust" if you felt so inclined)
    Thanks though
    Carol Ja

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Carol, you are not alone,

When your neighbour falls short of any interest in garden maintenance, you are up to a challenge , albeit not bad, but of another sort, ie. people who care little for their impact on influencing nature....good or bad.

Unless they are not compelled to contain their herbacous bount¥, you will be diligently pruning and hacking away at these plants.
    Go Garden with the force behind you!

And plant something exotic in your space, to catch the envy of your neighbours....perhaps then they will see your plight!
    KB

8. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

I guess the best way would be to convince your neighbour to pot the bamboo up. I had problem with my neighbour's douglas fir tree roots growing into my sewer line. We ended up splitting the cost on removing the tree.

9. oscar

oscar Active Member

I heard somewhere the Japanese use seaweed in trenches to stop bamboo spreading (not sure if theres any truth in that, i guess it would have to be fresh and full of salt)