Hedges: Cedar Hedge Removal

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by VMT, May 9, 2006.

1. VMT

VMT Member

I have been told that when a cedar hedge is removed the stumps must be ground out or they may re-grow (shoot). Is this so? Also, do the roots of cedars grow down or outwards, close to the surface? Thank you for your help. Veronica

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

In my experience in pruning a cedar (Thuja) hedge it is important to avoid cutting into older wood as the branches will not "break", that is there will be no green growth emerging from the bare branches. Based on this, I do not think that you will have any shoots emerge from the base.

To answer your second question cedars tend to have a shallow root system, spreading more laterally.

Raakel

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the 'cedars' that you have should be identified properly as the common cedar here is possibly different than your cedar there. I agree, Thuja generally has a shallow root system and they generally dont break from old wood so a stump resprouting is unlikely. If you are doing them yourselves, one of my trick is to cut everything off and down, but, leave one sturdy stem about 3-5 feet tall. then use your spade to cut around the roots like you are digging a large rootball. once you have gone all the way around, use the leftover stem as a handle and lever, pry it back and forth to break the smaller roots and you can keep going in for another round with the spade.

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

This calls for my favorite planting/transplanting/renovation tool: a backhoe! You get all the roots out, no ugly stubs, no backache. The really fun part starts with "Well since you're here you might as well..."

Ralph

5. VMT

VMT Member

Many thanks to all who replied to my post. Veronica