Single Green Leaflets unk

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by C.Wick, Nov 25, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I've been hiking for years but not up until last fall/winter did I ever notice these growing out of the leaf litter. Found on the borders of the Northern part of KS and Mo...along the Missouri River. Trees all around are mainly Elm, Oak and Cottonwood. The viens are strong...when pulled apart they leave 'strings' behind...much like Dock plants will. I've yet to notice flowers or any with double/multiple leaflets.....they're always in singles...but sometimes found in groups spread around the forest floors. This year they've come back in a large profusion. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Might be puttyroot, Aplectrum hyemale

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Excellent call! Even though I can find no record of it being located this far west I believe u guessed it. If anyone has info on this being in KS and MO that'd be great!

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Again my thanx! It's good to know that at least in the 2 states I've seen it it is not threatened or endangered. I'll have to watch for the blooms in the spring!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe the patches you've been going to haven't been blooming much. Otherwise I'd think some old flower stalks would have been seen at some point.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Most of the locations I'm finding them again in I don't get around to much...I'm more of a fungi and slime mould watcher so it's extremely possible I just wasn't paying attention. Most of these plants I'm finding on top of ridges way above the river...not even in a very moist environment. Interesting.......