Caring for a Meyer Lemon Seedling

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by westcoastgarden, May 7, 2006.

1. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

At our local garden club sale yesterday, I picked up a Meyer lemon seedling.

The tag doesn't give much information other than "can be kept outside during the summer".

I searched this forum and picked up a little info -- enough to make me worry that I may inadvertantly kill my new plant.

I'd appreciate some basic advice on caring for my Meyer Lemon including when i should transplant it - right now it is in a four inch pot and only has four small leaves and two more just beginning.

Maple Ridge is zone 8b and I have a cold greenhouse.

Thanks!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What makes you think you may have killed the plant? Doesn't sound consistent with the presence of new growth.

Ease the plant out of the pot to see if needs to be repotted. I would pot up only if there is a significant root mass present as citrus is sensitive to root rot from too much moisture and not enough air in the soil. Allow the soil to become somewhat dry before watering. Give the plant full sun.

BTW, Meyer lemon seed is monoembryonic; resulting seedlings will be hybrids.

3. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I just said I am worried about killing it - so far the seedling looks pretty healthy.

I will follow your advice - when you mention to "plant in full sun" are you referring to outdoor or indoor sun?

Thanks!

4. Junglekeeper

Sorry I misread your statement - doh! I have my citrus indoors behind a south-facing window and they don't seem to mind. However, with your plant, it may be prudent to slowly acclimatize it to full sun, indoors or outdoors, if you're unsure of the environment that it came from. Good luck.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Since we're on the subject of Meyer's, I thought I'd post a pic of several Improved Meyer Lemons I have in the greenhouse. These have erupted into bloom lately and if all or even half the fruit sets, the plants don't have enough size or strength to support the weight. The fragrance is great when I'm working down there.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

6. Junglekeeper

My tree is just finishing with its bloom and has already dropped most of the fruitlets. It's also lost some leaves which I believe is part of the normal leaf drop. I'll be happy if it starts to put out new leaf growth.

The photo shows the white substance that is often found on citrus leaves on plants at retail. I'd like to get a definitive answer as to what it is. Possibilities include fertilizer, fungicide, and mineral deposits from hard water.

7. lemonlover

lemonlover Member

Re: Caring for a Meyer Lemon tree

I have a potting meyer lemon problem. My tree is in a pot thats 9 inches tall and 30 inches in crcumference. It has just begun developing its bark, and it's almoast three feet tall. I think it needs a new pot, but I dont know what pot is best.

8. Junglekeeper

Re: Caring for a Meyer Lemon tree

As mentioned earlier, check to see if repotting is called for. If so, choose a pot that is one size bigger than the one it's in now. If the tree is extremely root-bound, you may consider going two sizes up. In any case the soil around the outside of the root mass should be loosened to encourage the roots to grow into the new media.

9. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

I'm not sure where you got the info that your mapleridge is a zone 8b. If you are referring to the USDA standard system , Mapleridge is more like a 7b. check out this link
    for location enter "Pitt Meadows" (airport location)
    http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/index_e.html

Since 1981 You will see -19c twice, -18 once and - 14 once.
    -19 c = -2 f actually is zone 6b. You may live in a microclimate 8b - just didnt want anyone misled.

G.