dead stalks, pale green stalks

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by whilbur, Dec 25, 2008.

1. whilbur

whilbur Member

my formerly healthy zz plant is suffering. it used to shoot up 3 or 4 new stalks a season, but now there are too many dead stalk stumps crowding the pot. is there any safe way to remove them to give the plant more room to thrive?

also, is the pale green color i am seeing for the first time (in older stalks) due to the crowded conditions, too much watering, too cold temperatures, too little light, spent soil? i have never fertilized (i have had the plant for several years). what kind of fertilizer is appropriate? should i uproot the whole plant and rejuvenate the soil?

please advise. i love this low maintenance plant and feel i have been neglectful :-(

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I'd suggest a split and repot but not until spring.
    I've split these guys up plenty of times with huge success. Don't bother until warmer weather though as they'll just sit there through cooler months after splitting. Take root cutting, stem cutting and even leaf cuttings. Although very adaptable and hardy they do like fresh will drained soil and fertilising in spring doesn't hurt.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Paler green in older stalks is due to a lack of light-type condition. You may need to get it some grow lamps.... Then yes, as Chungii suggests, split up and repot in the spring. Make sure your soils are very free-draining; in the wild, ZZ plants grow in very sandy conditions. And what you're seeing with the lack of shoots is most likely a perfectly normal dormant period, which the plants do undergo every 5 years or so in home conditions, if not more frequently...

In the future, you can probably remove the dead stalks by pulling gently on them, much the same way one removes dead growth from lilies. If not, cut them off. They're dead, and the plant has no reason to keep them.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yes it's a bit of a mis-conception that they'll grow anywhere. I've had a few 'debates' over wether they'll really handle dark indoor conditions. I have tried these all around the house and found they never did very well, needless to say mine are back outside in a brightly lit position.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

But Chungii v you are much warmer than Chicago :) so outside might not be the best place for them in Wilbur's case. Could the pale stems also be hunger??? If it is in a bright area.

Liz

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Possible, my point was more that they do need adequate lighting whether indoors or out :}