Peace lily repotting

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by GreenGarden, Apr 23, 2007.

1. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Hi

I just got a peace lily last week. It was in a 4-5 in diameter pot and the guy at the nursery told me that ideally i would want to repot it . So I got a 10 in diameter clay pot and miracle gro moisture control potting mix as recommended by the guy. I repooted it the same day.. On removing it from the old opt i found it to be root bound.. shook it up a little and then repooted it in the new pot. Then I thought i would do some research too on the care for the peace lily. And i found out these

1.To make sure the pot and soil have good drainage and is only an inch bigger around than the rootball. If the pot is too big, the roots can easily rot, or, in some cases, not get enough water.

Now i m getting worried abt my repotting. Should i repot it again into a small er pot as it mentions or should I just let it stay in the 10 in pot just to avoid it getting a "transplant shock" if thats the word.Also is the potting soil right for it? If i dont will it causecrown rot or root rot? Also how deep should i put the plant in..do i have to water from underneath?

2. Place in bright light, but not in direct sun and they will be happy.

Does that mean that it never ever would need to get bright indirect light, i mean sitting next to the window monthly or so..just trying to be cautious as to not kill it.

3. Also do i need to fertilize it? if yes then with what and how much?

I am attaching some snaps of the peace lily that i got .

Thanks

Green Garden

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Calm down, GreenGarden, it looks like you did a great job to me. Just let the first 2-3 inches of the soil dry in between watering and you won't get root rot. You plant will soon fill that pot. Peace Lillies are VERY easy plants to care for.

I don't quite understand your lighting question, but they aren't picky. I wouldn't put it right in a west facing window, but other then that you should be fine.

For feeding... wait a month or so before feeding it. Then you can feed it monthly (spring-fall) with regular house plant food.

That being said, you can never feed it and keep it in the darkest corner you have and it would still live, it just wouldn't bloom or grow as much.

M.

3. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Thanks M.

Was a bit worried there that i had done it all wrong and that i would have to repot it again.

Abt the lighting question, right now i have placed it close to an east facing window, though not directly in front of it. It is about a feet away from the window and sitting right next to it. I guess that should be good enough to have blooms too right. I had read that the plant needs to be pot bound for flowers to bloom and and also needs bright light.

Thanks again for answeinr to my query.

GreenGarden

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Good advice! Since spaths originate in Columbia, Central America and other northern South American countries, people often think this species (or hybrid) is a rain forest plant. It does come from the same area but not from the wet rain forest. As a result it does not appreciate "wet feet".

You made a good choice by using the moisture control potting media. As to pot size, I would not worry. I don't recall plants in the wild having anything to restrict their root balls! I often wonder where such advice even originates!

The peace lily is very tolerant of a fairly wide range of conditions and abuse. As a result it makes a very good beginner plant since it can go a long time without water and with little light. Even near death, the plant often recovers with little more than a regular watering and a pruning to remove the dead leaves and spathes. The plant will tell you when it wants to be watered by slightly drooping its leaves. Just don't let it starve to death!

If treated well, a large number of very exquisite white "spathe" inflorescences (flowers) will regularly form. An aroid, there are species and hybrids available which produce even larger leaves and spathes. Most nursery people recommend the plant prefers low to medium light and is very tolerant of artificial and even existing room light so long as it is relatively near a window. Some websites recommend frequent watering, however most successful growers have found the plant prefers a good soaking and then allowed to dry slightly before watering again. ("Somewhat" does not mean a period of several weeks or months!)

The "spathe" plant easily gets root rot so do not allow it to sit in water. I strongly suspect it is the excess water that kills the plant, not the oversized pot! Plant in well draining soil such as what you chose. For our plants, which reside in my office next to the west window, we add a good mixture of peat and Perliteā„¢ which makes the soil more "tropical". We have tried to grow them in our tropical rain forest atrium but they never bloom due to all the water in there. A very weak fertilizer solution mixed with every watering will make it bloom more frequently.

5. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Hi photopro

Thanks for the reply. It has made me become a less bit anxious on my part as to whether I would kill my plant. I just have to tend to its needs and i guess it takes care of itself a lot pretty much then.

6. Loulou

Loulou Member

Hi GreenGarden

I even know of this plant surviving in a completely darkened office room, which only has light on during daylight hours for the workers! It seems pretty tough. Good luck.

Loulou

7. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

The only possible problem with an over-sized pot is over-watering. Just water it conservatively until you get to know how much water it needs. You put it in a clay pot, and if I'm right (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..anyone!) clay pots have the same benefits as terracotta and unglazed ceramic - there's a certain amount of protection from over-watering because if the soil gets too wet some of the moisture will diffuse from the soil into the pot and then from the pot to the air, preventing the soil from becoming too water-logged.

Good luck with your Peace Lily, I'm sure it will be fine:)

8. Shoiley

Shoiley Member

I killed my plant several years ago after repotting it in a pot too big and the roots rotted because of the extra water. These plants can withstand being under watered, but they will get yellow on the edges if that is done repeatedly. I just trimmed the yellow edges and brown tips off my other one last night and the plant looks like new! Otherwise, I agree with JenRi's post.

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Thanks for your more specific advice Shoiley - I must admit I haven't kept a Peace lily before (I'm not even sure you can get them in the UK). If you err on the side of caution and give it slightly less water than it seems to need, you are probably far less likely to cause rotting of the roots.

I've recently done the same thing as you with my Cordyline, I potted it from 3-ish inches to 6 , so am trying very hard not to over water it!

10. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

If you give a newly re-potted plant only an inch more room then the old pot, or up one pot size larger then the old pot, your chances of over-watering will be diminished.