golden mikado?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by englak, Oct 1, 2005.

1. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

I am looking for a plant called golden mikado for someone who saw one once at a home in Switzerland. She tells me that the plant has strappy foliage, and gets golden blooms at the ends of the leaves. I found this image of a golden mikado on the internet, but wonder if anyone here has ever heard tell of such a plant, and can confirm whether or not this is it.

I am very sorry to say that I did not get any clues about a latin name........ I know.

Karin

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Zantedeschia or Calla Lily has a cultivar 'Golden Mikado'. See http://www.nhri.go.kr/ddd/crop/flower/leaf/b_root/TMP9yzsiwte9q.htm
    for a picture. The page is Korean, but if you scroll down to the bottom it has pictures of the cultivars labeled in english.

Also found a cultivar for a daylily with the same name. Niether seems to fit your description.

Probably not what you're looking for.

Harry

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Could it be a cultivar of Acorus gramineus, Sweet Flag?

4. englak

My friend has confirmed that the plant in the photo is the one she saw in Switzerland. I can't find a photo of the sweet flag blooming to confirm it's identification.

Anyone know the latin name for the plant in this photo?

5. englak

Success! It's Syngonanthus chrysanthus, also known as Eriocaulon chrysanthum.

6. ennui

ennui Member

This was posted a long, long time ago--but I just ran across it.

The picture is indeed of a Syngonanthus chrysanthus. They are really neat. If you have yet to find one, they are selling them this May at Whole Foods. $5.99!! :)

7. Jmar

Jmar Member

Hey Karin,
    Great little plant I just bought one at Sobeys, if you have that chain in BC, for $6.99. This summer I intend to put it in my pond. It even looks like it's produced another in the pot.
    John

8. gowithth

gowithth Member

hi i just baught 2 golden Mikado plants lovely plants the photo u have is correct

9. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

My goodness! That's considered a wetland weed where I came from!

10. ionnrachtagh

ionnrachtagh Member

The latin name for this plant is Syngonanthus chrysanthus. Commonly known as "mikado".
    Origin:South America, Brazil I think. If you do a google on the latin name you will get heaps of info even a sight from the breeder (a dutch company called Anthura I think).

11. drositano

drositano Member

I just bought 4 of these yesterday at a nursery in Northern california called Half Moon Bay Nursery, in Half Moon Bay, CA. The tag simply says "Mikado" and unfortunately does not include the latin name. However, the nursery may know. The tag also says that it is native to riparian areas of Brazil.

12. butterflygirls

butterflygirls Member

Has anyone had one of these plants that multiplied? Mine is thriving and has nearly filled the pot it came in. Has anyone transplanted this sweet plant? If so in what sort of soil?

13. drositano

drositano Member

What growing conditions do you have it in? Mine all died within a short period of time.

14. butterflygirls

butterflygirls Member

I have it sitting in a north facing window that only gets filtered light. I have two other bog lovers there and they have thrived, an anthurium and an alocacia. There is also a heater vent on the floor in that space, which I was not sure would be healthy for them but since they were fine I just put it there. I do keep the dish with water in it and my house pretty much stays at around 68-70 degrees.

Since it is doing well I hope someone knows about transplanting. I did down load the info from anthura b.v. which shows it in what looks like a terrarium condition.