Some expert opinions for tree choice, please?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Unregistered, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm looking for a colourful, unique centrepiece tree for my front yard to compliment the existing landscaping (here in the Lower Mainland). The only restrictions are that it has to be easy to prune and about the size of a Norway maple (50' height, 50' spread).

I've been thinking of some of these, but am not sure of their suitability so I'd appreciate some input before I get myself in trouble!!

- Katsura Tree

- Gingko Tree

- Variegated Box Elder

- Tulip Tree (nice, but too big I think)

Any other suggestions? Comments?

Thanks!!!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Katsura is great. Gignko is slow grower, box elder and tulip are fast growers. Katsura is easy to prune. others are not hard but they would be a bit more work perhaps than Katsura. pics are of a couple that I get to take care of yearly.

Attached Files:

3. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Lets try and recommend you a tree that won't require pruning first of all and then think of the choices within your desired size.
    Acer burgeranum (trident maple)
    Pyrus calleryana "Chanticleer" or "Glenns Form"
    Pyrus calleryana "Capital"
    Acer palmatum "senkaki"
    Fraxinus oxycarpa "Raywood"

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What kind of pruning are you asking about? Thinning to admit light? Heading back to control size? Most trees are best not deformed into an unnatural shape, but some more vigorous kinds will even tolerate pollarding.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I'm with Puddleton. If you get the right type of tree you won't need to worry about pruning. Even better idea place the tree in the right location, and it won't touch anything. Lots of suburban homes have trees and bushes right up against the house. It isn't good for the house or the plants.
    I like the look of Japaneses maples myself. They usually have a pretty airy look about them, and have good colour through the fall. I like the look of trees that don't make a house feel 'heavy' (Thick foliage has to much shade.)
    good luck
    Carol Ja

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. Thanks for all of your input.

By pruning I meant keeping the tree looking "neat and clean" and removing any odd branches...that's all. The particular area in my front yard is about 35' x 25' and the tree will go in the centre with a landscaping island around it. and some hedging at the edges. The other side of the front will have similar hedging a small weeping Japanese maple, other shrubs and some existing large evergreens.

I really do like the Katsura -- I had the opportunity to see a few just the other day. I like that it is not very dense. My only problem with it is that they seem to be turning colour a bit early at this time in August?

Are they prone to any serious insect or disease problems compared to other trees, especially with their sugary smell?

The Acer palmatum senkaki looks neat too. I will definately look into that as well.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Please keep them coming if you think of anything else!!!

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

sugary smell? I think I need to get closer to the trees I work on.

9. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

A few of my maples are looking like they would like to change color (mostly the native ones) It has a lot to do with lack of water. I have one maple in the back thats massive, it is the only one looking fine, probably because it is really old and has a huge root system so it is able to get water.
    I'm not sure about he insect problems and such with Katsura but if you really find you want one, pests and such can always be delt with. Get your hearts desire!
    Carol Ja

10. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi-I know this can become like a phone in vote for Canadian Idol, but I have to mention my favorite small tree.

Stewartia are perhaps a bit slower growing than you were thinking, tho there are some nice big ones at UBC (after decades I'm sure). The bark on many species is very cool, and the fall colour of the sinensis last year caught the eye a mile away (I'm thinking of the little one in the Lohbrunner garden). Flowers are nicest on the koreana, tho all species have a good display for a short time in late spring.

I've also noticed many katsuras turning colour, including several here in South Surrey that may be dying from drought stress. If "they" are gonna plant all these trees, "they" need to figure out a watering system for our predictably dry summers...arbutus would be the alternative!

Glen