Forums Restructuring

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

So have I!

I am just making a point that there's a whole other side to all this nicey nice stuff.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually, HollyberryLady, I think you have said enough negative comments against the management of this forum. I for one think they have done a GREAT JOB. - Millet

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I think this forum is terrific but I am free to speak my mind, just as you always have Millet. I am not a negative person at all, but I will speak the truth, and don't much care who likes it.

It's the people who make up this forum too - not just management. It is a 2-way street. I see this forum reconstruction as disrespectful and insensitive towards your members.

: (

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I'm pretty sure we all know who said what about whom, and an internet blood-battle isn't the best way to end anyone's day.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Daniel, I will add my voice to those who have already shown their appreciation for what you have achieved with these forums these past several years. Unfortunately in most areas of life you rarely receive letters of appreciation, only letters of complaint, as those users who are satisfied tend to take things for granted.

I can't help but feel all those who are complaining loudest about the restructuring are being very unfair to Daniel; what other university would provide these types of facilities for everyone to use, for free, whether affiliated to the university or not? Much of the content on this forum has zero connection to UBC and I am surprised it has continued as is for so long.

For those who want their own chat forum, why not set one up for yourself and find out what is involved? The Previous suggestion of Yahoo! Groups might be a good place to start, I wouldn't think you need any technical knowledge to set it up.

6. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Alas, now we'll never know what Millet's descending number series in his signature meant.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Indeed, I've made this same suggestion in the past in this post:

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Blake, mind if I add it to the list of Other Forums on the side?

9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Much as I like Millet in all other respects, I believe it was a political comment about the Obama presidency.

10. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Sure!! :D

11. Daniel Mosquin

Done, cheers.

12. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yo, Millet...thought you announced your 'last post' earlier today...?
    Hard to say g'bye, ain't it?

13. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    What can we say more? So much has been said. After reading all this THANKS for taknig the time (it feels like Mr Danile you are apoligizing in person) but thanks for taking the time to personally address each of the members who posted. Most of us have X things to do. Lucky you get to walk 20min my partner sits 8hrs in front of a PC all the working days of the year.
    It seems to trickle down to Vancouver/BC/the politics .. spending 1 Billion $ on anti terror security for 2 Olympic weeks (I know I am sorry it has nothing to do with plants).
    What would the UBC gardens be 'without" the people visiting, paying entrance fees etc..to me this forum is an extention of all the UBC fans?
    If money is the problem, "wauoh" I know a few people who are working at UBC and money is never a matter considering there type of lifestyles.
    I personally would not mind paying a monthly fee to keep it alive and I am sure many others would do so just depends how much it would take.
    With the rampant unemployment in Vancouver. I am sure there are many out there who would rather work for this forum X hours per day at 10$ per hour than work for fast-food chain at 8.50$. There are many many people out there who need work and could do such a job.
    It would be informatife to simply line out who are registered members (are we part of that?)
    Will we still be able to ask "strictly gardening questions to other registered members?

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hey Daniel, for how much longer are we going to able to access our personal messages?

15. Daniel Mosquin

Vicarious1, will address later, or maybe tomorrow. I have to work on reconciling these CFI budgets.

I'll only say for now that there will continue to be forums for gardeners in the Pacific Northwest.

Private messages -- and access to them -- aren't affected by this.

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Just checking, thanks!

17. Bulucanagria

Bulucanagria Member

Thank You for your time and effort. My few posts here and many browsings have been nothing but pleasant and professional. The effort you put into this forum showed and kept me coming back. There are myriad places on the Web to exchange pleasantries and swap recipes. I ocassionally avail myself of them. However, when I need gardening information or input, this is where I came. Everybody was helpful and informative. I could ask for nothing more in a gardening forum. I will miss it and hope for its eventual resurrection.
    Dan Perkins

18. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i'd be willing to pay a fee! i'm a starving university student (the bc government keeps cutting funding so tuition keeps going up), but this site is something i'd be quite willing to pay for. most things half this good aren't free.

as to complaints about how the forums are moderated (not to point fingers, this is just my opinion), i don't think the moderating has been too tough. mind you, i've only been here since november 2009. the reasons i love this site as much as i do include the neatness, politeness (people can be rude if nobody's watching) and high standards. there are a multitude of sites out there with little or no moderation; members of those sites are often rude and uninformative.

i also love the people i've met here; thank you again. i think there's quite a lot of humanity on this site. hollyberry lady, m'dear, all your rad threads like "wanna play a garden game", "post a peek of yourself", "garden quotes" etc. seem pretty human to me--- and they've been allowed. :)

daniel, for what it's worth, i think most of us appreciate you and wouldn't call you a nazi. you can't please everyone, though! that's just how people are; diverse and sometimes crazy. it's easy for me to say, but you shouldn't take it personally when a few people out of a bunch have a problem with you. ...not that i'm calling anyone here insane, please don't get me wrong.

here's hopin' the forums will eventually be resurrected!!!

19. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I too would be willing to pay for the privilege of participation in this outstanding Forum.

20. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i think a lot of people would be willing to pay to be part of this. maybe ubc will consider that in the coming months.

i hope so!

21. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

As my kids pften say when I send them a text message, "DITTO".

22. Bulucanagria

Bulucanagria Member

I have never paid for access to a forum in my life and I'm not going to continue to not do so if that's what it takes to get this place back up and running! (Unravelled, that is an agreement with the last four posts).

23. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Daniel, Eric and all the interns over the years: Thanks!

This forum and it's members have been a much valued resource for me and allowed me to pursue a steep learning curve when I most needed it. I've backed away over the past year in regards to posting, but it has remained an almost daily read.

I've appreciated the near total absence of spam and (much more importantly to me) agressive personal posts and "flaming". I've interacted occasionally with the moderators to help achieve that standard, but only rarely.

"Nature abhors a vacuum" - it'll be interesting to see what if anything comes forward to fill the space left by this "restructuring".

Ralph

24. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

anyone who is interested is welcome to join the garden forums. all that is asked is that you fill in an answer to the 'interests' question on the sign-up page...they want to keep abreast of members interests so that they can make the appropriate forums available to fill needs/interests. also, it will let the admin know that you were invited via this site (and it wouldn't hurt to mention that specifically, either - he's said he'd put through approvals quicker if he knows you've been directed there from here.

it's a very similar set up as to what is here - many different sections that cover virtually all areas of gardening - indoors and outdoors and all the various types of plants and techniques. there is a large contingent of cacti/succulent fans as well as those with interest in greenhouses and vermicomposting/square foot gardening.

daniel, if you would, please, add them to the list of alternate sites. thanks!!!

hopefully, i'll see some of you wonderful people over there soon!!

25. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Oh, my goodness- this is so, so sad. I will try to email everyone who left an email address. :( Please email, me, I must stay in touch with all of you! Here is my email address: tgplp1@gmail.com
    I will hopefully join the forum everyone is talking about.
    Thanks, everyone, for making this forum a wonderful place. I will miss all of you, so much. Thank you, Daniel, for everything.
    I've only been here for a month- but I am so sad. Everyone here was so nice and helpful to me whenever I had a question!
    Lets all keep in touch.
    Thanks everyone.
    ~Tgplp :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.