Pinching/Deadheading Petunias

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by lily, Jul 16, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Can someone please tell me how to pinch back my petunias properly? They are getting long and scraggly now. Also, do you remove the funnel where the flower use to be or do you just leave it there? Do the seeds grow inside the funnel? Thank you.

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

When I pinch mine back I usually pinch off each stem down to just above a leaf that seems about the right height for the plant. I'm not sure there is a proper way to prune petunias, if there is I'm sure someone can help you. As far as deadheading, I remove the entire blossom and it's stem back to the main stem. That way there isn't an ugly stem end sticking out. If you don't remove the funnel it will set seed and your plant will think it's fulfilled it's duties and soon start to fade.

3. jenny30

jenny30 Member

i always just pull the dead flowers off and they always bloom again

4. tericuff

tericuff Member

http://www.beginner-gardening.com/prune-petunias.htmlHi Lily,

Sorry this is so late but better late than never. I received my weekly email from Doug Green's Garden Notes and he had this video on how to prune petunias. I learned something I never knew about the buds being pinched off. Hope it helps you. He only picks off the flower not the stem so I guess it all depends on the gardener. I have done both on my petunias and it seems to make a better, fuller plant if you pinch the entire flower with the stem. Good Luck

Terry

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Thank you Teri. It's never too late. I'm sure I'll be planting more petunias next year. I enjoyed the video and I learned something new. Now I know how to make them bushier. Much appreciated.

6. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Lily,
    I have found that Wave Petunias need very little dead heading but do benefit from pruning to make them bushier. They also so quite well in our rainy climate...most others just get soggy and ugly. I watched the video clip and signed up for Doug Greens Garden Notes as well....so thanks for that link.
    cheers
    Micki