Horse chestnut tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by csokonaw, Aug 9, 2007.

1. csokonaw

csokonaw Member

How long does it take for a horse chestnut tree to actually produce chestnuts? I planted one in my yard 4 years ago, at about 4 feet high. It is now about 8 feet high, no flowers or nuts yet, but very healthy with lots of foliage.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Horse-chestnut (Aesculus) isn't a chestnut (Castanea), so it'll never produce chestnuts, only conkers (or buckeyes, if you prefer). These are poisonous, so don't expect to go eating any of them!!

As to age, it's still too young to flower. I'd give it at least another four years yet before getting worried. And even then, it'll only be an odd panicle or two at first, you won't get a lot until it is something like 20 years old.

3. csokonaw

csokonaw Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes I know the "chestnuts" are not edible.. just want to see them develop on the tree in my lifetime. It is doing well on a hill in Calgary with a magnificent view of the Rockies to the west.. interestingly, it has survived our cold winters, frequent wind, but is somewhat sheltered by other trees and bushes. I will get back to you in 4 years, one way or the other!... b

4. chestnuthead

chestnuthead Member

A horse chestnut tree is not a chestnut tree? Have you ever been in Ontario or B.C.? I have one in Calgary that is 10 years old and about 20 feet high. I have a couple hundred smaller ones and many other buckeyes which are also chestnut trees.
    Steve

5. chestnuthead

chestnuthead Member

I have a 10 year old 20 feet high tree also, here in Calgary. But no nuts yet. Usually about 8 years in other parts of Canada.
    Steve

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The problem with calling horse chestnut (Aesculus) "chestnut" is that it confuses it with chestnut (Castanea). Two very different trees.

This kind of thing is, of course why botanical names were developed in the first place. To be clear which you are talking about use those instead (or include them with a common name).

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  7. chestnuthead

chestnuthead Member

...so an Ohio Buckeye is not really a chestnut tree. Sounds like if it is not edible, meaning toxic (that's not poisonous necessarily) then it is not really a chestnut tree? I did not think there were any edible ones grown in North America, mostly edible ones grown in China?
    Steve

8. chestnuthead

chestnuthead Member

....I think the konkers? are used for pig feed are they not?

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Horse-chestnut (Aesculus) seeds are often called 'conkers'; they are poisonous if eaten, though you'd have to eat several to be seriously ill, eating one would probably just give you bad stomach ache.

Chestnut seeds are called chestnuts; they are produced in the Mediterranean (Sweet Chestnut Castanea sativa) and eastern Asia (Japanese Chestnut C. crenata and Chinese Chestnut C. mollissima). They also formerly occurred extensively in eastern N America (American Chestnut C. dentata) but this species has become very rare due to chestnut blight disease.

10. chestnuthead

chestnuthead Member

My 10 year old chestnut tree (layman's term) now has flowers and if the hail etc. does not get them, it may have "chestnuts" by October. It is early but I see 2 bunches on them so far. The leaves are a week or so from fully opening.
    These are located in Calgary Canada.