Rhododendrons: Big Leaf Species Rhodo

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by kgrant0@shaw.ca, Jul 28, 2006.

1. kgrant0@shaw.ca

kgrant0@shaw.ca Member

Hope someone can help. My species rhodo "Rex" is in a big pot under the above balcony. It receives late afternoon sun and did well last year. This year I wanted it to branch so I snapped out center leaf buds. All the buds that opened were curled and turned crunchy brown on tips. From what I read this could be leaf gall - but as this plant already (always) shows a white powder like substance on new growth -am I on track with my diagnosis? I did cut out all affected leaves already. What about using a funicide?
    Thanks Kathy

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

The white powder like substance on new growth might be indumentum and leaf gall is usually found on azaleas. Your description of symptoms sounds like it is probably cultivation related (does the sun shine on the container it is in?).

Have a look at Harold Greer's article here for more on leaf gall and other diseases.

3. kgrant0@shaw.ca

kgrant0@shaw.ca Member

Thanks Chris, I will pay more attention as there is a fair bit of indumendum still on leaves that I didnt have to cut off. As far as sun on the container- no it is tucked in the corner and I would be more concerned with air circ.
    My other big leaf species (also in a pot) has no problems and is more exposed on my patio but I have yet to Identify it.... If i ever get a digital camera.
    thanks again,
    Kathy, the patio rhodo girl